connecting joey to tv and avr

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting joey to tv and avr

busydog
Extra
Can anyone give me some specific directions to connect my Joey 2.0 to an AVR and TV. I have dealt with Support for many hours and it still isn't right. Thanks
Tags (3)
7 Replies

Re: connecting joey to tv and avr

Chadt41411
Casting Director
What issues are you running into? Should be as simple as connecting the HDMI cable.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Yeah, I would do Joey -> AVR and AVR -> TV. All HDMI. Everything is just so clean and simple with HDMI. (I'm guessing you already had the latter so just one new cable to connect.)

busydog
Extra
Thanks for the replies. That's how I have always connected it, but when I tried that, but for some reason, could get picture, but no sound.
Dish support had me moving hdmi to all the ports on the avr (for over 3 hours), but no luck. Last thing they had me try was to run an hdmi from the joey to the tv, then another hdmi from the tv to the Aux hdmi port on the avr, still not working. So they told me I needed new hdmi cables as one may have failed.

Is the way they asked me to connect with the 2 hdmi cables to the tv (connected joey to tv, tv to avr even a viable option--I have never heard of that being necessary.
The avr is almost new (Denon) and worked fine the way you described above with my previous DirecTV system, so I don't think the hdmi cable(s) are the issue, but I picked up a couple of new ones today so am going to try that.
I have never had this much trouble hooking up a system in my life, so very frustrated so far.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
If you go straight from Joey to TV, is there sound and picture through the TV?

busydog
Extra
if connect the joey directly to the tv, I get picture only
If I connect joey to avr and avr to tv, I get sound only

Chadt41411
Casting Director
What are your audio settings on the Joey?

hddn
Visual Engineer
busydog wrote:
if connect the joey directly to the tv, I get picture only

Sounds like the TV volume is down/muted (as it typically is when using an AVR).

busydog wrote:
If I connect joey to avr and avr to tv, I get sound only

I assume the sound is coming from speakers attached to the AVR? So my guess on this would be you're using the wrong input on the TV (ie: doesn't match where you plugged the AVR in.) Or you're connected to the wrong spot on the AVR.