can the hopper 3 antenna adapter go bad?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can the hopper 3 antenna adapter go bad?

nabuch
Camera Crew
To make a long story as short as possible, I have been trying to get an answer to my OTA recording problems. Since any change I make fixes the problem temporarily, like rescanning, or reattaching the antenna cable, it seems like maybe the adapter is bad, which is good since I have the dual adapter in the mail. The question is, is there anything in the adapter that could actually go bad? Has anyone ever had a bad one?
18 Replies

Re: can the hopper 3 antenna adapter go bad?

1oscardog1
Camera Crew
I got the OTA Dual Dongle and it solved all my recording problems -- With the single OTA Adapter I was seeing all sorts of problems.

nabuch
Camera Crew
Thanks, that's good to know

tpribors
Audio Engineer
Others here are reporting the same problem with recorded programming from the USB OTA adapter. It seems to have started with a recent H3 update. I originally thought it was the weak signal from the antenna but in fact watching a show and recording it and playback show that it is only the recorded version that gets the pixelated playback.

nabuch
Camera Crew
That's what I've been saying all along. The last update was Aug. 30, I think, and that is what did it. All these forums have had me doing all kinds of things when I knew what it was all along. Here's hoping it gets fixed with the next update, but that is extremely unlikely since DISH says they know of no such problem.

scotar
Audio Engineer
To answer your original question, yes the OTA dongle can go bad. It has electronics inside that convert the OTA signal into a format that can be put over USB.

But as you have surmised it is most likely a software issue.

I've been having issues as well.

tpribors
Audio Engineer
I've found that the forums are less than reliable in getting issues in front of those that can fix them so yesterday I used a chat session to report this issue. They assure me it will get sent to the proper people and that I will get an acknowledgment that the problem has been entered into the system. I also asked the person to be sure to refer the person responsible for tracking the problem to refer to the topics in this forum.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The chat team is not very good. The forums with Dish are a far better resource, since we have a specialized team to serve us as DIRT members.

tpribors
Audio Engineer
Well, so far noone from DISH has acknowledged none of the problem I reported in the past few days. For this one all we get is suggestions like reset the box, rescan channels, etc. that have been done by many people with no success. The problem is not with the dongles but with the H3 software.

Community Manager
Community Manager
tpribors wrote:
Well, so far noone from DISH has acknowledged none of the problem I reported in the past few days. For this one all we get is suggestions like reset the box, rescan channels, etc. that have been done by many people with no success. The problem is not with the dongles but with the H3 software.

This does not appear on our known issues list. All reports are read by our tech ops team and then they try to duplicate the issue. It will get added to the list if they are able to duplicate the issue or if we have received a large number of reports. This currently does not appear to be a software issue since it does not appear on our known issues list.