YouTube and Netflix don’t work on my hopper3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube and Netflix don’t work on my hopper3

Bugeye326
Extra

Every time I try to open YouTube or Netflix on my hopper3 I get the startup screen and it just freezes there no matter how long I wait. I’ve tried resetting the apps to factory defaults and resetting my hopper but still they don’t work. My internet connection is 18Mgbps and everything else is fine. Why can’t I get these apps to open on my hopper3?

7 Replies

Re: YouTube and Netflix don’t work on my hopper3

Bugeye326
Extra
For some reason I can only get them to work if I connect my hopper by wireless cxn to the internet. If I have it connected by Ethernet cable then the apps won’t open. Whats going on?

logdog
Audio Engineer

I've been having this issue intermittently and first reported it on this forum more than 4 months ago. In my post "Hopper 3 Unreliable" from 2 weeks ago, someone from Dish finally said they would forward to engineering to look at. My Netflix locks up at the splash screen and I can hear dialog from the last show I was watching. I have to pull the plug and reboot several times to get it working again. Of course that means whatever I am recording will have several 5 minute breaks. Very frustrating... 

DISH Employee

This issue has been reported to our Engineering Team. Once a resolution has been reached, they will release the fix in a nightly update. At this time, we do not have an estimated time frame of when this will be resolved. At this time, the work around that we have is to reset Netflix back to its default setting, then reset the Hopper by unplugging it for 10 seconds from the electrical outlet then plugging it back, and then to reset all remaining Joeys by also unplugging for 10 seconds and then plugging it back in. 

Mjn2021
Extra

I have the same problem with Netflix telling me I have no internet connection, even though it shows green checks when looking at network connections. I get error code NW-8-22. The worst is that tech support has been clueless on numerous calls. They have no insight or explanation, and usually tell me to call Netflix after failing on their end. I think they need to give a discount as long as they can’t fix their issue. Has anyone had a tech person come out and fix it?

DISH Employee

Hey there, Mjn2021. I cannot say that I am familiar with the Netflix error code. Does it include an error message as well? Are you having issues accessing other apps like YouTube or things like our Video on Demand content? This would not be a problem a technician could resolve as this is likely an issue with the current software. That's where our Engineering team comes into play. They take all the details that are given to us and try to recreate and solve the issue. After they resolve it, they will turn into it an update and send it to your receiver and a nightly update.

Ewerhere
Extra

I just had a Hopper3 installed and neither YouTube or Netflx work. YouTube gives me the black screen with YouTube logo and I can’t go anywhere from there. After two or three minutes, the dish apparently crashes and shortly after I get the Hopper starting up message, then have to wait for it to restart. If they’ve had this problem since 2016, I can’t believe they promote YouTube as a benefit of the Hopper. 

DISH Employee

Hi, Ewerhere! I know how frustrating it can be to have features not work with new equipment. Were you just installed with the upgrade today? Some features will take 24 hours to function properly after the receiver was activated.