Wireless Joeys losing connection to Hopper 3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Joeys losing connection to Hopper 3

ryes31
Extra

I'm at my wit's end here. Ever since I got two Wireless Joeys, I've had a problem with them losing connection to the Hopper 3 and/or the Wireless Access Point. Sometimes it's days before it happens, sometimes it's 10-20 minutes. There's no consistency, there's no pattern to it, it's all at random times.

Sometimes it'll be right when I'm watching TV. The picture will freeze, then the error message will pop up. I can't remember the code, but it's one of two error messages- either "Looking for Hopper" or "Can't connect to wireless access point" - something like that.

I've had multiple conversations with Dish reps who have had me do everything in the book, with no success. I've had TWO technicians come out. The first one replaced the WAP with a brand new one. Still had the same problem, although for the most part it would last at least 6-8 hours before disconnecting.

I had the second technician come this morning. He said the problem was the Hopper, so he replaced it with a brand new one.

He just left an hour ago, and now the problem is even worse. Now my wireless Joeys won't stay connected for longer than 5-6 minutes at a time. It's driving me absolutely insane, and I don't know what else to do. I'm paying all this money for Dish service when 2 of my 5 TV's won't even work.

Any suggestions from this point on? Since obviously replacing equipment isn't doing anything?

7 Replies

Re: Wireless Joeys losing connection to Hopper 3

DISH Employee

Hi ryes31. That's definitely odd for it to come back right after a technician leaves, especially when it comes back worse than before. Have you seen any improvement in those 2 Joeys since last night? 

Also, have you been able to catch the error message that it's giving you? The number should be in the top right corner of the pop-up message.

Datbme
Extra
I am having the same problem. I have been with Dish for 5 weeks and this problem persist. going to send a Tech out but it won't be for at least a week. Poor service

cake
Extra

Well I've seen thousands of the same complaint with blank response from support, so guess that solves my dicision to upgrade to hopper 3 with wireless joeys. All I see is problems with connection and no resolution from dish support.

I was fixing to update and decided to search for reviews and low and behold the problems have been the same accross the board. Lost connection during important event, lost connection during recording, lost connection same time everu night......... on and on and on...................Guess I'll stick with my old equipment with ugly wires, or see if Directv has better reviews. I'll pay a little extra for good service.

@Datbme wrote:
I am having the same problem. I have been with Dish for 5 weeks and this problem persist. going to send a Tech out but it won't be for at least a week. Poor service

cake
Extra

Datbeme, I've been a loyal customer for 20 years and I can't get anyone from dish to tell me weather they have fixed the connection problems. I would love to stay loyal, but customer service has gone to the wayside. I can't believe they still promote #1 in customer satisfaction. Need to do a 2018 poll. If I can't get an explanation about a possible problem with a product other than, just purchase it, problems are being worked out, then dang why stay with that.

DISH Employee

Hi cake. Connectivity strength with Wireless Joey receivers can vary per installation because the layout of each home is different. Things like walls and installing on different floors can make it more difficult for the signal to pass through. If you are having any technical concerns with your existing equipment or had any questions about that upgrade, feel free to let us know.

ryes31
Extra

I'm way late to replying to this, but the problem has not resolved itself in the last couple of months.

It's been pretty rough trying to get this stuff working. Dish has sent out 2 different technicians- one replaced my WAP and still had the same problems, then the next guy said it was the Hopper that went bad so he replaced my Hopper 3 completely... 10 minutes after he left my wireless joeys lost connection again. Now they'll still lose connection at least once a day, until I go power cycle the WAP, and then they come back on.

The signal strength always says strong on both of my wireless joeys - usually wavering between 72 and 84. I've just caved in and accepted that this is how Dish is supposed to work, and it's very unfortunate. I bought a WeMo power outlet to plug my WAP into so I can at least restart it from my phone, because that's the ultimate level of lazy.

Here's a question- do Wireless Joeys use my home wifi network at all? Would replacing my wifi router have any impact on it whatsoever? I've been scratcthing my head trying to figure out what the problem could possibly be. The joeys are no more than 25 feet away from the WAP & Hopper, so I don't think it's a home layout issue.

DISH Employee

Hey, ryes31! The Wi-fi Joey's don't connect to your home Internet system to function. The only time they would need your home Internet would be for streaming On Demand, or Apps. They would connect to your home Internet through your Hopper's connection for that.

I'd like to check some things with your equipment. Will you send me a Private Message with your account/phone number and 4 digit security code, please? 

Here are the steps for sending a Private Message: 

https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039