Winter Olympics in 4K?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Winter Olympics in 4K?

JockoFlocko
Extra

Sony 75z9d (4K & HDR compatible) + 4K & HDR compatible HDMI cable + Hopper 3 = Error 1540.  All of my TV HDR & HDMI settings are set to Auto.  Was able to watch some NCAA football games this Fall on channel 540 with no probs.  And I can play games on my PS4 in 4K & HDR no prob.  But the Olympics have been a no go for me.  Really frustrating.......

Highlighted

Wallybunker
Audio Engineer

Also have Sony 4K and get error message. Can view 4K content through Hopper3 YouTube app. 

Josh
Camera Crew
Read a very helpful reply explaining the need for a HDCP (hdmi) 2.2 to 1.4 converter. I ordered Classytek monoprice blackbird converter and a J-Tech digital converter from Amazon. I’ll test both and see if it works. Highly annoyed at Dish, NBCU and this whole industry of non-backwards compatibility. Total monopoly.

Wallybunker
Audio Engineer

Obviously, NBC Universal AKA Comcast is really only interested in allowing Comcast customers the ability to view 4K content it is broadcasting and obviously to novices like myself and nontechnical that 4K is not created equal. So having said that I’ll just do without.

Wallybunker
Audio Engineer

UPDATE:

I am prefacing this comment with with a caveat that I am not a techie and don’t claim to be.

After reading comments about the error message 1540 on 147-05 and 540 purporting to show the Olympics in 4K, I began thinking about my hook up for my Sony 65” HD 4K HDR TV. My Hopper3 is connected via an HDMI cable to a Sony Soundbar system, which then connects to the Sony TV through another HDMI cable into HDMI 1. So I decided to conduct an experiment. I bypassed the Sony Soundbar system and ran a different HDMI cable from the Hopper3 to HDMI2. I turned on the TV and Hopper3 and tuned to 147-05. Voila, a crystal clear picture, although the sound had to come through the TV speakers instead of the Sony Soundbar. I got the same result in channel 540. The TV display shows the picture is being received 3840 x 2160p 4K. The picture is awesome.  The error message I was receiving about an unsupported TV no longer displayed. In my case, the Soundbar was acting like a speed bump that didn’t allow a 4K connection. I would think Tech Support should think about this, ask questions and offer this as a solution.

I am assuming that the HDR issue remains for sets not HDR compatible, but simply bypassing the Soundbar solved my problem. Just tossing this out as a fix that worked for me.