Why the "New" Tag on all DVR recordings?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the "New" Tag on all DVR recordings?

paulrbush
Extra
I'm relatively new to Dish and have been confused by the Hopper 3 interface and remote control. The UI seems quite buggy and non-intuitive. One thing in particular that drives me nuts is that the "New" tag is on most of my DVR recordings yet when I open them, all the shows have been viewed. So what good is it? Is there a way for it to truly represent that there is a new recording that hasn't yet been watched?
11 Replies

Re: Why the "New" Tag on all DVR recordings?

stile99
Cinematographer
paulrbush wrote:
I'm relatively new to Dish and have been confused by the Hopper 3 interface and remote control. The UI seems quite buggy and non-intuitive. One thing in particular that drives me nuts is that the "New" tag is on most of my DVR recordings yet when I open them, all the shows have been viewed. So what good is it? Is there a way for it to truly represent that there is a new recording that hasn't yet been watched?


Well...there's supposed to be a progress bar, and when you look at the recording's info page, if it has been watched, it will be filled in. But as you note, the UI is a bit buggy and I've seen it happen a LOT where a show will be completely watched, but the bar still shows at 0%.

That 'new' tag is supposed to indicate the episode is new, as opposed to a rerun. But at this point I assume it goes without saying that I've also seen that not work correctly either. To be fair though, I think that is a broadcast flag, so when a show from 1988 has the new tag, that's not the Hopper having a seizure, that's "ClassicChannelTV" using the tag incorrectly because it's the first broadcast on 'their' channel.

Re: Why the "New" Tag on all DVR recordings?

JSracer
Audio Engineer
were the recordings a new episode ??
i think thats what it refers to.

Re: Why the "New" Tag on all DVR recordings?

DISH Employee
The 'new' tag should just indicate when a recording is new to the receiver, or when there are new recordings available in a specific group. I haven't seen any known issues regarding it staying after everything is watched, but I can definitely send it forward to be sure.

Re: Why the "New" Tag on all DVR recordings?

seanmh72
Camera Crew
Tommy F. wrote:
The 'new' tag should just indicate when a recording is new to the receiver, or when there are new recordings available in a specific group. I haven't seen any known issues regarding it staying after everything is watched, but I can definitely send it forward to be sure.

This is not correct. The 'New' tag on shows/series means that a recording has not been aired previously, not that it is new to the DVR. If this were the case, then most all recordings would have the 'New' tag and would be a completely useless feature.

As for when the 'New' tag no longer shows, it is only when that particular recording has been deleted (sent to the trash); it has nothing to do with the percentage of viewing completion.

The percentage bar is definitely buggy and I find is basically not useful as it shows differently between the Hopper3 and a Joey.

Re: Why the "New" Tag on all DVR recordings?

paulrbush
Extra
Thanks for all the answers everyone, if I'm understanding correctly the "new" tag is shown every time a non-rerun episode has been recorded. Not that a "new" unwatched episode is available. Unfortunately, this is LESS than USELESS. Most of my timers are set to "only record new episodes" so that new tag IS on all my recordings even after I've viewed them all.

IMHO, from a User Interface perspective the "new" tag should mean a new unwatched recording available. That way you could tell at a glance what you need to watch instead of going into every single recording group to see if there is an unwatched episode(Don't even get me going on those progress bars!). It is SOOOO time consuming to check and see if there is anything "new-to-me" to watch on my DVR.

Re: Why the "New" Tag on all DVR recordings?

RickObe
Visual Engineer
paulrbush wrote:
Thanks for all the answers everyone, if I'm understanding correctly the "new" tag is shown every time a non-rerun episode has been recorded. Not that a "new" unwatched episode is available. Unfortunately, this is LESS than USELESS. Most of my timers are set to "only record new episodes" so that new tag IS on all my recordings even after I've viewed them all.

IMHO, from a User Interface perspective the "new" tag should mean a new unwatched recording available. That way you could tell at a glance what you need to watch instead of going into every single recording group to see if there is an unwatched episode(Don't even get me going on those progress bars!). It is SOOOO time consuming to check and see if there is anything "new-to-me" to watch on my DVR.


Is there a reason you're not deleting the episodes after watching them? Seems like your DVR would fill up pretty quickly that way.

______________________
Hopper 3 and four Joey-2s

Re: Why the "New" Tag on all DVR recordings?

stile99
Cinematographer
RickObe wrote:
paulrbush wrote:
Thanks for all the answers everyone, if I'm understanding correctly the "new" tag is shown every time a non-rerun episode has been recorded. Not that a "new" unwatched episode is available. Unfortunately, this is LESS than USELESS. Most of my timers are set to "only record new episodes" so that new tag IS on all my recordings even after I've viewed them all.

IMHO, from a User Interface perspective the "new" tag should mean a new unwatched recording available. That way you could tell at a glance what you need to watch instead of going into every single recording group to see if there is an unwatched episode(Don't even get me going on those progress bars!). It is SOOOO time consuming to check and see if there is anything "new-to-me" to watch on my DVR.


Is there a reason you're not deleting the episodes after watching them? Seems like your DVR would fill up pretty quickly that way.


Multi-person households where more than one person wants to watch the same show, and for whatever reason their schedules do not allow them to sit and watch at the same time.

Re: Why the "New" Tag on all DVR recordings?

hddn
Visual Engineer
Then I assume you'd want some kind of multi-user log-in so it would know who it was "unwatched by". Or is that already taken care of some how?

Re: Why the "New" Tag on all DVR recordings?

stile99
Cinematographer
hddn wrote:
Then I assume you'd want some kind of multi-user log-in so it would know who it was "unwatched by". Or is that already taken care of some how?


Actually, just restoring the ability to move to another folder at the end screen after watching a show would be nice. For the love of all that is holy, don't start making some weird login thing. Folders already accomplish this, just restore the functionality they used to have.