Why has the picture format changed.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has the picture format changed.

KB9SRH
Extra
Within the last two months the picture format has changed for channel 23 (metv) in Chicago. Why would dish do this? Now the picture is very small and centered on the screen. I know that I can change the format manually but this shouldn't be necessary. Please correct this technical glitch.
Tags (2)
1 Reply

Re: Why has the picture format changed.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
You are receiving MEtv in Chicago area because they broadcast in Chicago as a local station. DISH does not carry MEtv. Anyone wanting to watch MEtv must have an antenna to watch the channel if it is in their local OTA viewing area.
When my local NBC channel 8 started carrying MEtv on channel 8-2 as SD. It was first broadcast in a 4:3 format. To fill the screen, I changed my TV to 'zoom' to fill the screen. This basically makes a 4:3 a 16:12 picture.
After some time and even though all of their programs were produced in a 4:3 format, they decided to broadcast in a 16:9 format. This caused the picture to go back to 4:3 with side bars except for new commercials that are full screen.
MEtv must have received many complaints [including mine] about their new format. After awhile and I don't know if it was my local channel or Metv in Chicago, but the format changed again. What I get now, with the TV still set on 'zoom' [for all channels] is a modified 4:3/16:9 It looks like it might be something like 15:11 with very narrow side bars with a slight loss of the top/bottom portions of the picture missing.