Why does Dish add DVR events to my queue?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Dish add DVR events to my queue?

PumaMan
Costume Designer
It hasn't happened in a long time, maybe six months or more, but it happened a few days ago. Dish put a DVR event in my queue, a boxing event. I don't even watch boxing and I seldom watch any sports. Maybe the occasional soccer (aka football) match. If I see the timer I have to mark it as "skip" because if I delete the timer Dish will just add it back. While not a big problem -- actually it's a tiny problem in the scheme of life and all -- I would like to know why Dish automatically does this. Why? Does Dish think that maybe I'll miss the event of the century? :lol: :roll:

I guess I'm thankful that Dish doesn't do it very often . . . . :D
11 Replies

Re: Why does Dish add DVR events to my queue?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Dish reserves the right to put certain promotional material on the DVR. You may not care, but it gives others the reminder and increases sells.

PumaMan
Costume Designer
Well of course it's about the money. That's obvious. Thank you for that bit of info Mr. Chad. :lol: :roll:

hddn
Visual Engineer
Well if it's obvious, then why ask why? :D

Lots of people say ads don't affect them. But whether that's true or not, people are willing to pay a lot for ads, and quite a few people/companies are willing to accept that money.

PumaMan
Costume Designer
hddn wrote:
Well if it's obvious, then why ask why? :D

Look up "rhetorical question". :roll:

PumaMan
Costume Designer
Chadt4141 wrote:
Dish reserves the right to . . .

I wonder where that fine print is buried. :lol: :roll:

[quote:2slc2izk]
You may not care . . . [/quote:2slc2izk]
Ah but you're wrong. I do care. I pay $185 a month for this "service". I don't need (or want) unsolicited ideas on what to watch.

But you're also right . . . I don't care to watch any boxing, MMA, or other such violent and moronic drivel.

Of course, I'm sure it's too much to ask that Dish give us an option (like almost every other good reputable website out there) to opt out of these unsolicited ideas on what to watch.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
It is a Dish partition. That is why they reserve the right to put it there. You can get mad about it, but every company has marketing of some sorts on their devices. I get updates on my IPhone about certain things from Verizon regularly. Again, you may not care, however it goes to every customer. And it does not take any of your time, partition, or usability. So you can be mad, but ultimately, it didn't affect your life in any way shape or form.

PumaMan
Costume Designer
Whatever. Meh. :roll:

(I still can't believe you have 7000+ posts on a satellite TV forum. Wow. :o )

hddn
Visual Engineer
Yes, Chad is a very knowledgeable and helpful person. We're lucky to have him here.

BTW, I find these things mildly irritating too, but they don't do it often. I suppose they could offer a pay to opt out option. I'm always curious as to whether people who complain about ads are really willing to pay the entire cost of services and entertainment. My guess is that most would rather have the ads and grumble a little (like me) than actually pay full freight. Dish's profit margin isn't very high so I don't begrudge them the occasional ad.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
The reason Chad has so many posts is that he used to work for Dish & has way more knowledge about how Dish works than any of us. Personally I'm grateful that he takes the time to help customers that need it (as do many here).
Learning the tips & tricks to better use Dish services is what it's all about.