What do I need to know about transferring and upgrading

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need to know about transferring and upgrading

CharT
Character Actor
I am contemplating getting an EHD for my Hopper with Sling and then upgrading to the Hopper 3. What do I need to know before I dive into this? Any helpful hints are welcome or detailed instructions from any of the Administrator/Moderator people that work for Dish. Thanks for reading. :)
18 Replies

Re: What do I need to know about transferring and upgrading

DISH Employee
CharT wrote:
I am contemplating getting an EHD for my Hopper with Sling and then upgrading to the Hopper 3. What do I need to know before I dive into this? Any helpful hints are welcome or detailed instructions from any of the Administrator/Moderator people that work for Dish. Thanks for reading. :)

You can purchased an EHD at any electronics retailer. The drive should be:

no smaller than 50 GB and no larger than 2 TB
have its own power supply
must support USB 2.0 or above
must not use flash memory and should only be a single-hard disk drive

If your Hopper with Sling has the new user interface, the content can be transferred via an Ethernet cable to the Hopper 3.

scotar
Audio Engineer
CharT,

You will also need to have external storage activated on your account. It costs about $50 I think. One-time fee.

Once that is activated, you transfer the shows you want to keep onto the EHD from your HWS.

Then get the H3.

Then hook the EHD to the H3 and they should be there.

Worked for me.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Hoppers do not require paying a fee to use with an EHD - there is a fee is to use an EHD with non-dvr receivers.

DISH Employee
scotar wrote:
CharT,

You will also need to have external storage activated on your account. It costs about $50 I think. One-time fee.

Once that is activated, you transfer the shows you want to keep onto the EHD from your HWS.

Then get the H3.

Then hook the EHD to the H3 and they should be there.

Worked for me.

The activation fee is not required for DVR receivers/Hopper.

An external hard drive can also be used to turn your HD Non-DVR receiver into an HD DVR. This is where the one-time $40 activation fee applies.

CharT
Character Actor
I don't know anything about the interface comment. Anyone care to explain?

DISH Employee
CharT wrote:
I don't know anything about the interface comment. Anyone care to explain?

Here is a link which contains information on the new use interface https://www.dish.com/ui/.

CharT
Character Actor
Thank you. Is the new user interface a software download or is it being updated by region? I have not seen anything about it until now.

DISH Employee
CharT wrote:
Thank you. Is the new user interface a software download or is it being updated by region? I have not seen anything about it until now.

They are being updated in waves. We can always walk you through downloading it if you plan to upgrade to the Hopper 3 or the tech can on the date of the upgrade. If you wish for us to walk you through downloading it you may call customer service at 1-800-333-3474, chat using this link https://www.mydish.com/support/contact, or send a PM with your phone number and PIN.

CharT
Character Actor
So it is necessary to do the update prior to moving my programs to the EHD? Is that for compatibility issues for the Hopper 3?