cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch on demand??

mikejl46
Camera Crew
I have the Hopper 3

Going to the Video on demand Icon, when I find a movie click on "Watch on demand" It does nothing, I have tried it on many movies and nothing.

I know the internet works, Netflix works fine.

How do you watch Video on demand movies???
17 Replies

Re: Watch on demand??

Chadt41411
Casting Director
What are your internet speeds, and how is the receiver connected to the internet?

mikejl46
Camera Crew
I have 25 mb speed, connected with network cable.

After trying a lot of these movie, I'm finding some of them do work, Very few.

Most of them when you select the “Watch on Demand� button, it does nothing.

Some of them if you select the “Watch on Demand� button you get another page where you have 2 options HD Free Rent or SD Free Rent, click on one of those give you the option to order Video on Demand event Yes or No, Select Yes just brings you back to the previous screen, where you have 2 options HD Free Rent or SD Free Rent, so that does nothing.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
What ISP modem Mfr and model do you have?
How is the Hopper connected to the internet?
Use a main host router? What is the Mfr and model of the router?

My system is all CAT6 LAN network connected to the internet. Works well for me. ISP speed is 100/3. ;)

mikejl46
Camera Crew
Actiontec v1000h

The hopper 3 connected straight to modem.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
25Mb should be good however maybe not fast enough for immediate viewing as the video content needs to fill up the Hopper storage. I've noticed that a download is in progress before I start watching the video I've selected.

tommyy2
Visual Engineer
e38BimmerFN wrote:
25Mb should be good however maybe not fast enough for immediate viewing as the video content needs to fill up the Hopper storage. I've noticed that a download is in progress before I start watching the video I've selected.

Is that really correct? Never heard anything like this before. HD should stream fine on less than 5Mb, UHD can even stream on 25Mb.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
It sounds like you subscribe to 25 Mbps, but what are you actually getting? Go to speedtest.net and see how fast your internet actually is.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Maybe sufficient however what else is going on your network that maybe taking up bandwidth?
Same thing seen if you turn OFF all other networking devices and use the Hopper alone with the modem?
Other things to consider. Definitely get a speed test result.

FYI:
[url:36ku47jc]https://www.mydish.com/support/general-speed-size[/url:36ku47jc]

tommyy2
Visual Engineer
Chadt4141 wrote:
It sounds like you subscribe to 25 Mbps, but what are you actually getting? Go to speedtest.net and see how fast your internet actually is.

Good point.
Only thing I would add is to run the speed test around the same time as when you see the Dish problem, i/e don't test in the morning and watch on demand in the evening. I say this because Cable internet systems will supply an entire neighborhood with a single feed, depending on the feed if many people in the neighborhood are all using the internet at one time the speed can drop really badly (usually around 7-10pm), however if the feed is sized properly no speed drop will occur.