Warning 981

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning 981

BlackjackWidow
Costume Designer

I was watching tv last night (early morning - 2 am) when the prompt came up that the system wanted to update (was watching from a Joey). I chose to "continue watching" and then fell asleep, so not sure what time the Hopper actually started to update. When I woke this morning at 7 am, the Joeys were showing a "Warning 981" Boot Recovery message, with progress bars starting at 3 bars and counting up to 7 bars very slowly. As the message says "Do not disturb or unplug until this screen disappears" I've left it alone. It's now been about 2 hours since I first saw the message, but I think it's a good bet it has been stuck for at least 3 or 4 hours.

Everything I can find about this message says that it means the system was interrupted during update. Nothing I've found talked about only the Joeys having the problem.

Questions - can I safely unplug and replug the Joeys, as it's not made any progress in at least 2 hours? Is there a Hopper system menu I should look at to find out what the issue is? If it doesn't work, or I shouldn't reboot, what are my next steps?

I have a Hopper with Sling and 3 Joeys (version 1). Pretty sure the Hopper is gen 1, might be gen 2. It is the second Hopper with Sling on this system, the original Hopper and all the Joeys were commissioned in 2013; I got a replacement Hopper in 2015 when the hard drive died in the original one.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Warning 981

BlackjackWidow
Costume Designer
Update has been issued. They posted instructions for forcing an update if you don't want to wait for it to update overnight: https://www.mydish.com/support/981
Mine would not go into standby mode, I could only reset the Joey, and then it would go back to the warning 941 page.

After putting my receiver in standy, I unplugged all the Joey's, then plugged one in and let it sit at the warning page. Once I verified the progress bar was advancing, I plugged in the other ones. It.took about 30 minutes, and they are all working now.
28 Replies

jscrenci
Character Actor

same issue here, and I think it is systemic.  I tried contacting them on chat and no help yet.  But the person i was chatting with let me know there are a lot of calls with this same issue.  

BlackjackWidow
Costume Designer

That is really good to know, thank you for the response. I noticed someone else posted the same problem (probably while I was writing mine).

I was really surprised that the Hopper isn't affected; don't think I've ever had an issue with updates that didn't start with the Hopper itself. 

mojo9430
Extra

Yep, same thing here. Warning 981 on my Joey. I'm number 276 in the chat countdown. *groan*

BlackjackWidow
Costume Designer

Just some more information, in case it's useful:

In diagnostics, Network Details - MoCA shows everything is fine and connected, but under the Whole Home menu, MoCA "Current" summary, the Hopper is "discovered", the Joeys are not; Link Status is "Unlinked" for all (Hopper and Joeys) and signal quality is "Strong" for all. As would be expected, there are no MoCA Details available.

jscrenci
Character Actor

i am on chat with them now.  No help yet, but it is on their end.

DizzyBreath
Character Actor
It's now a known issue with the Joey 1.0. They are working on a fix. It's super frustrating. It's not affecting the Joey 2.0 or 3.0.

BlackjackWidow
Costume Designer

same issue here, and I think it is systemic.  I tried contacting them on chat and no help yet.  But the person i was chatting with let me know there are a lot of calls with this same issue.  

Yep, same thing here. Warning 981 on my Joey. I'm number 276 in the chat countdown. *groan*

Ugh - I'm glad I posted here instead of queing for chat - thanks for the doing the dirty work!

It's now a known issue with the Joey 1.0. They are working on a fix. It's super frustrating. It's not affecting the Joey 2.0 or 3.0.

Uh oh - "working on a fix" for the Joey 1.0? That could take forever Smiley Sad I have an idea - just send replacement Joey's 3.0 and call it good! The 1.0 Joey's are soooo slow anyway, they should phase them out. 

DizzyBreath
Character Actor
You can upgrade to the 3.0. I currently have the 2.0. If something goes wrong with mine they would replace it with the same model.

Jeepgirl99
Extra

I am also having the same issue after hanging on the phone for an hour they hung up on me,.  Frustrating