Wally with OTA Dongle

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wally with OTA Dongle

fritschw
Extra
I am running a Wally with the OTA dongle in my RV. At many locations I scan for locals and they are down loaded to my guide. Now I have a guide with many locals in it. How do I clear out the guide? I can delete these channels in the scan menu but they are still listed in the guide.
10 Replies

Re: Wally with OTA Dongle

DISH Employee
We would need to first update your physical address on your DISH account. Then we are able to run a test through your system to detail the locals for your area. Please private message your account/phone and 4 digit PIN for my assistance.

fritschw
Extra
Thanks KatyC. This is more involved than I thought. I am not currently in the RV so this will have to wait until later.

fritschw
Extra
This Wally keeps resetting itself. What could be the problem?

Does this happen with the OTA Dongle disconnected? This may be a hardware issue as well. Do you have another outlet you can try?
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

RichNJohn
Character Actor

I've tried plugging the OTA dongle into the Wally in my RV directly and through a USB hub. I can not get the Wally to see the dongle.  When I go into settings and use the OTA menu option to scan for OTA stations nothing comes up. When I scan for stations directly on the TV I get 44 digital stations. Any suggestions for getting the dongle to work?

Sure wish Dish would build this stuff into the Wally like they did on my Hopper 3, all these peripherial devices are a pain to manage.

The OTA antenna I am using is a Winegard omni directional HD Digital antenna with a power booster the coax line from the antenna runs to a splitter that has one line connected to the Wally and one line connected directly to the TV. I wired it that way so I can watch OTA stations without having to run the Wally if I'm in a situation where I'm trying to conserve the RV battery power. (I have to run the inverter to power the Wally and it sucks the battery banks pretty fast.)

DISH Employee

RichNJohn, What happens when you un-split the coax and have it run directly from the Winegard to the Wally? Are you able to connect the OTA to the dongle and strait to the USB on the wally and scan channels that way? 

RichNJohn
Character Actor

I ran the antenna wire directly to the dongle, no change the wally acts like it's not there.  Checked for signal by connnecting wire directly to TV.  The TV can get TV stations over the OTA antenna.  When I connect the same wire to the Wally through the OTA Tuner, the Wally can't see the OTA Tuner.  Sent the dongle I bought on Amazon back thinking it was bad. Ordered a new one from Dish For My RV.  The one they sent me looks different than the one I got from Amazon and it is not the same as the one pictured on the Dish For My RV Website. The first one had a USB extension cable that could be removed from the OTA tuner.  The one Dish sent me has the USB cable permanently attached to the Tuner.  I hooked the second one up, restarted the Wally and the Wally still can't see the OTA adapter.  Been on hold for the last half hour waiting for a Dish For My RV tech representative to pick up...  

DISH Employee

Which OTA model do you have? Does it say "DISH" on the front and "Dual OTAAdapter" on the back? 

Have you tried relocating the OTA, and switching which USB port on the Wally the adapter is connected to? 

RichNJohn
Character Actor

Well, I actually spoke with six different technicians yesterday, spent about 7 hours on the phone, more than half that time on hold and another 30% of that time waiting for my system to reboot several times.  However, the good news is that it is working now. What finally fixed it was when we did a software update on the Wally.  I had tried that earlier but my Wally wouldn't accept the update when I accessed the update feature under system tools.  The sixth technician had me put the Wally in stand by mode and wait for it to update itself.  Once that was done everything was fine.

All the technicians were great, I just think Dish needs more of them and should allow them to take a call back number in case you are disconnected.  I was on the phone so long my battery died and I lost the Advanced Technician I was speaking with. Causing me to have to call the regular tech line, wait for 30 minutes to speak to a tech who I already knew is not authorized to resolve my problem.  The guy was really nice, I told him I didn't want to waste his time could he just refer me to an advanced tech. Of course I had to wait on hold again for one to be available.  When she picked up, I asked her if I could leave a call back number and explained what had just happened.  She was very nice but told me they are only allowed to accept incoming calls. Dish really needs to do soemthing about their tech support policies and the technology they use for customer support (like allowing call back features).  Again, the people are outstanding!!

Second suggestion:

Program the Wally software so you can bypass the Tailgater signal searching and guide download steps. My Wally takes a full 30 minutes to go through the reboot process, most of it reestablishing the Tailgater signal and downloading the guide. Since I had not moved my antenna there was no need to go through those processes every time a technician asked me to reboot the system (which as I said there were many reboots).  Adopting this suggestion will save customers a lot of frustration and save Dish valuable Technician time spent waiting for the customer's system to reboot.