Wally is acting up something bad

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wally is acting up something bad

jab8283
Character Actor
Is there an issue with Wally units? Ever since swapping out VIP211z for the new Wally unit, I've had nothing but trouble with recycling every couple of hours the Wally will allegedly loose signal and shutdown and restart going through the 5-minute check and redownloading the program guide every couple of hours.

Every 3-4 hours, Wally shuts down for up to 10-minutes while it updates program guide. Intermittently every hour or two, picture freezes up for several minutes. I've had this service for a few years now and never, ever had this issue with the VIP211z unit. No changes have occurred with physical dish, coax, and dish is properly aimed. Over 90% of the time when Wally says there is no signal, there is not a cloud in the sky and living in the country next to farm fields, no trees or other obstructions for thousands of feet.

While facing unit from front, the top right side of Wally is very warm which I don't understand. There is no reason whatsoever for Wally being that warm. I'm not sure if installing a 80mm computer fan to top of case and forcing cool air down through vent holes will solve problem although I think that is what I'm going to try first. I never faced this issue with heat generation on the VIP211z unit. I'm not sure if the Wally has a self diagnostic system or not to give me some clues as to why it keeps shutting down and restarting every couple of hours. I'll try the cooling fan first and see what happens but this unit is trying my last nerve especially when I'm in the middle of a great program then suddenly it shuts down for 10-15 minutes every couple of hours.
Tags (2)
8 Replies

Re: Wally is acting up something bad

DISH Employee
Is the message you're getting saying No Signal, or Signal Loss? Also, is the Wally in an enclosed cabinet, or does it have at least 4" of space all the way around?

jab8283
Character Actor
Wally is in an open area with a 40mm computer fan to keep the overheated receiver cooled down. I am getting a "No Signal" notification almost every hour on the hour the TV is operation. The receiver keeps downloading the guide nearly every hour on the hour. Currently at 35 notifications for signal. Resets, 1=power, 1=front panel, 42=internal. Nothing is making sense and running diagnostics reveals no issues and very good dish to satellite transmission.

DISH Employee
If there's a "No Signal" (vs Signal Loss) that means the TV isn't seeing the Wally through the connection, which can happen temporarily when the box is resetting.

Is it plugged into a surge protector or directly into the wall? If it's plugged into a surge protector we would want to try resetting the box manually by unplugging it from the power and plugging it directly to the wall.

We would also need to see if the Power button is stuck in a "pressed" position -- push the power button in firmly, lightly wiggle, and release. Observe to make sure the button is centered and rebounds to the resting position.

jab8283
Character Actor
Trust me, I've been through all those ideas dozens of times including finger nail at power button. Now Wally is resetting two times every hour on the hour. I've verified dish aim with Dish Finder and it's perfect. Checked coax with line tester and it's good. All connections are corrosion free and spray Deoxit on all terminals so they stay that way. At the machine I checked plug to wallwart. Pulled the SIM card, checked and re-inserted. All machine diagnostics found no issues, and signal tests including wireless internet are great. Something is wrong with unit and I plan on swapping Wally with my VIP211z receiver and prepare to send it for repairs. I've only had Wally a few months now and do not know if it were new or refurbed when I received it. All I know is I've exhausted all my resources.

DISH Employee
I may be able to get the Wally replaced. Can you send me a Private Message with your phone or account number, and 4-digit PIN?

DRL2017
Character Actor
..We have wally recievers also and are expierienceing the exact same condition on one of ours .. I have had techs here a few times and it still acts up ,everything has been tested and found to be fine . The last time it worked pretty good for about 7 days since the last tech .. Have asked once before and will ask again are these recievers Junk..?

jab8283
Character Actor
Update: Issue resolved. Replacement Wally receiver arrived today and after initial programming and software updates, unit is operating normally and with zero issues. Thank you PhoenixM for your assistance.

Donr
Character Actor

wally is JUNK. My does the same thing- shuts down and restarts- this AM 4 times. Tried to get it replaced- but the SIX MONTH (this should have been a clue that they are junk) warranty (ha ha) had expired. Don't know hwat recourse there is- but I will look for a 211 and dumpt dish as soon as my contract expires. If I can ask- what difference does it make if it is plugged into the wall or a surge protector?? Just another dumb excuse and stupid attempt to cover up junk made in china.....