Wally - change default name from Living Room 1

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wally - change default name from Living Room 1

BurnsNH
Character Actor
I have (3) Wally units and want to have a unique device name for each unit. Currently they are all named "Living Room 1" and I want to rename them to Bedroom, Family Room and Basement.

It appears that the Hopper can do this.. how do you change it on the Wally?
I have tried options in the Diagnostic menu, but there is no option there for changing it.

Thanks
Jon
Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Wally - change default name from Living Room 1

BurnsNH
Character Actor

Any ideas? I want Alexa to control each one but it can't if they all have the same device name. Alexa sees all three Wally's with the name Living Room 1

DISH Employee
Changing the name of the Wally is not a feature they currently have, but it would be an awesome thing to add. Normally with the Hoppers, you'd press Home three times (or Menu twice) on the remote and go to Whole Home, but since Wallys are a single-TV box there is no option for whole home.

I would recommend messaging the idea to be able to change the Wally names here on our Spokeslistener page: https://www.mydish.com/spokeslistener

BurnsNH
Character Actor

Update:
I was able to get my two Alexa's to work with the Wally units, I turned them off and added them one at a time.
Still when issuing a command to Alexa, she does not know which one to send the command to as they are both named "Living Room"
I found a work around, by creating (3) groups in Alexa app. (Master Bedroom, Family Room and Basement) I was then able to assign each Wally to a group.
Now when I tell Alexa to change channels I have to use the group name within the command. ie. "Alexa, change Family Room TV to xxx Also, make sure that when you are setting up and adding the Wally device that you assign it to the correct Alexa, or Alexa Dot.

Just for future reference:

Alexa app - create (3) groups
Master Bedroom
Family Room
Basement

Adde the Wally devices as:
"Master Bedroom TV" and assign it to group "Master Bedroom"
"Family Room TV" and assign it to group "Family Room"
"Basement TV" and assign it to group "Basement"

Please share this info, as I know others would like to have a workaround until Dish can add the ability to rename the Wally device-name and description names. Would be nice if Dish could compensate me for sharing this workaround.

I know Dish is promoting the use of Alexa with their devices, so I hope this is something they can fix quickly as it does provide them an advantage over others.

Electronically,
Jonathan

treasuredphotos
Character Actor

What is the difference in a Wally and a Joey?  I am new to this.  I have 2 Joeys and they both say Bedroom1.  I want to change One so I can tell the difference.