Voice Remote Has A Ghost Inside

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice Remote Has A Ghost Inside

satman44
Character Actor
My new DISH Voice Remote Control model 50.0 has a mind of its own. I registered it with my Hopper 3 and it immediately started randomly sending commands, changing menus, starting recordings, etc. Using the touch pad was an experience in frustration because each touch would result in random movement of the cursor on the TV.

After some research, I discovered there is a setting to change the sensitivity from high to medium to low. I selected low and immediately noticed a significant reduction in using the touch pad to move the cursor; however, it is still way to sensitive and only occasionally can I get it to stop on the desired selection. I still can’t touch the touch pad without it randomly selecting different menu items or recorded programs. The final straw was while the remote was sitting on the table 2 feet away it randomly started changing the menus on the TV. I had to remove the remote batteries to stop the ghost commands.

Is my remote defective or is this just a poor design?
10 Replies

Re: Voice Remote Has A Ghost Inside

DISH Employee
Has this issue happened from the very start or after owning the 50.0 remote for some time?

caljreich
Character Actor
If it stops after taking the batteries out its not a ghost!!

No one in the house with another remote playing?

satman44
Character Actor
This is a brand new remote. The issue started as soon as I paired the remote with my Hopper 3.

caljreich: you made me laugh. I withdraw the ghost theory.
I only have the one v50.0 remote. The other remote, v52.2, was sitting on a shelf. But, you sparked an idea. I also have a Joey. I'll try pairing the v50.0 with the Joey and see what happens.

satman44
Character Actor
I tried it with a Joey. It didn't take off on it's own but it did jump around and it was hard to select the desired menu item. I suspect if I waited long enough it would go berserk.

DISH Employee
satman44 wrote:
I tried it with a Joey. It didn't take off on it's own but it did jump around and it was hard to select the desired menu item. I suspect if I waited long enough it would go berserk.

Seems like a faulty remote. Can you send me a PM with your account number and 4 digit PIN so we can see about getting that remote replaced?

caljreich
Character Actor
Glad I gave you a laugh.
Yea it sounds like something is wrong with your remote. I have 2 voice remotes didn't really use them much until I bought some skins for them. The skins seem to make a big difference. Just much more easy to hold.

Re: Voice Remote Has A Ghost Inside UPDATE

satman44
Character Actor
DISH customer service contacted me and offered to send me a replacement remote. I've been using it for a week now and can report it operates as advertised. No more random commands and I can actually stop on a menu item. So my first remote was definitely defective.
Thank you DISH for your wonderful customer service.
Steve

DISH Employee
I am glad to hear the replacement remote is working the way it's supposed to! If you still have the old 50.0 Voice Command remote still, please remove the batteries out of it and then in 7-10 days place two Double AA batteries in it to see if it will allow you to have the access like you're supposed to.

satman44
Character Actor
Mike H. wrote:
I am glad to hear the replacement remote is working the way it's supposed to! If you still have the old 50.0 Voice Command remote still, please remove the batteries out of it and then in 7-10 days place two Double AA batteries in it to see if it will allow you to have the access like you're supposed to.

Mike,
The batteries have been out for over 2 weeks. I installed new batteries and tried to navigate menus. It skipped over items randomly as before. Then I set the remote down, walked away, and when I came back the menu cursor was jumping around menu items all on its own.
I hope this description helps,
Steve