cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Voice Remote Error Message

Looking4Help
Character Actor

OOPS, WE DIDN'T CATCH THAT.................... is the message I am getting now.  Before the last software update it was "oops can you repeat that."  I have tried every Customer support fix that has been suggested over the numerous telephone calls I have made on this issue. My last tech support call even invloved checking my router UPNP settings to make sure they were correct.  I had a technician come to the house who swapped out my Hopper and Remote with no effect.  

A common theme from every phone call was that Dish says they can't "see" that my Hopper is connected to the internet.  I tell them that it is and prove it by accessing my Netflix through the Guide and going to my On Demand Channels, but they say they still can;t see it.  

I have ViaSat satellite internet service and my Hopper is connected to it. Why Can't Dish see that I am connected?  If they could see my internet connection, would I have the Voice Search ability on my remote?  

7 Replies

Re: Voice Remote Error Message

DISH Employee

Hey Looking4Help, typically if on our end it doesn't show your Hopper connected to the internet, it can mean that you do not have a strong enough or stable enough connection. Have you tried running a connection test yet? If no here's the steps: 

Press the Home button three times

Select Status

Select Send Status

Select Test Connections.

We do suggest running the test 2 or 3 times and get the average speed. 

Looking4Help
Character Actor

I ran the test 3 times and averaged the results.  My download speed average was 1.67.  I don't know if this is sufficient.  

DISH Employee

We do typically suggest speeds of above 3. If your receiver is connected via Wi-Fi, I suggest connecting it via Ethernet as this may help.  

Looking4Help
Character Actor

So I contacted my Satellite internet provider and gave them a piece of my mind!  I explained my slow internet speed problem to them and they insisted that I connect my computer directly to the router and run a speed test.  They said that their test indicated speeds above 10mbps on their side, sufficient to meet the "at least 3mbps" recommendation.  So I did.  My first speed test was 18mpbs, my second 17mbps.  I ran to the store and bought a 100 ft CAT5 data cable and connected my hopper directly to the router.  (Hopper is downstairs, Router is upstairs in middle bedroom.)  My system used to be connected Via Linksys Nodes, with a cable from Router to Upstairs Node, Downstairs Node to Hopper.  I ran the Dish test and that resulted in a max speed of 1.8mbps. I understand that I might loose some speed over the legnth of the cable, but 16.2Mbps?  I don't know wht to do anymore.  This is the second Hopper.  I can't even use my On Demand much less the voice command.  

DISH Employee

Hi there, Looking4Help! Based on the details you are giving me, we would need you to call in and speak with our Broadband team, they are specially trained in internet support and can work to get to the bottom of your speed issues! Please give us a call at 1-800-333-3474 to speak to our Broadband team for further assistance.

Looking4Help
Character Actor

I have run this test multiple times, and the average speed with my hopper connected to my router, now with a 70 foot CAT5 cable is 1.9Mbps.  I ran another speed test with my laptop connected directly to the router through a 30foot CAT5 cable and my results are PING 630, Download 19.46Mbps and upload 1.13Mbps.  Now that I have satisfied myself that my internet speed is fast enough, it would seem that I have a hardware problem.  

Looking4Help
Character Actor

I've called Dish with this issue on a regular basis.  Yesterday, I had a service call to address the issue.  I showed the Technician how fast my speed was using my Dell Tower hooked up to my router through the second port on the back of my Hopper.  My speeds aaveraged in the 13-14mbps range, with 3-4mbps upload speeds.  Then after running a speed directly through the Hopper, still connected directly to my router, the speeds dropped to 1.6-1.8 mbps.  The Data was sent with confirmation successfully.  

To address the issue, I received a third Hopper with Google remotes.  I purchased the Velop Nodes that now cover my entire house and I bought a Google Nest Hub from Dish.  I spent a small fortune for a service call, and I am still unable to use my voice remote with Google Assistant.

The new Problem is an error message when trying to obtain an activation code.  After selecting the Google Assistant from the Dish menu, I select "Control Dish through a Google Assistand Device", then "Get Code."  After almost a minute , I receive an "Unable to Communicate with the server, please try again" message.  I always get this message. When i push the Mic button on the remote and select "Activate your Google Assistant" the screen just returns to regular programing after a few seconds.  

After a 1:25 minute call to Higher lever Dish Tech Support to link my Joey's and set-up my Assistant Device, (who had never delt with Google Assistant), it was decided to sign me up to receive a software push for Google controlled devices.  My software version is U540.  I don't know if what the tech said even exists.  I would expect that all up-to-date software would be compatable. But that was his solution after an hour and a half on the phone.  He could not give me a date for this event, but what else could I do?