Vip211k and Tailgater

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vip211k and Tailgater

BurnsNH
Character Actor
I received a used Vip211k and Tailgater from a former camper.
I hooked it up and called Dish to activate it, as the prior owner had not been using it for months.
After the initial install and activation I was able to watch a few stations, but didn't get all the stations I was expecting from my FlexPack. After letting the unit run for a few days, I decided to turn it off. About a week later I set it up and turned it on. I've had nothing but issues since, trying to get the Tailgater to find satellites. I did notice when I first got the unit hookup and installed/actived it was running L559 level of the software. It is now telling me that its using L862 and it's really has not worked the same since and still can't find any satellites. My question: Is it possible that the latest firmware L862 for the Vip211k was the wrong software update? Also my unit does not have a soft card that gets loaded in the front. After the latest talks with support, they are sending me a new card, which now they say is needed with the Vip211k and the FlexPack. Will the new card also address my issue with not finding a satellite? I know its in a good location, as it worked before the firmware update when they activated it.

Thanks, frustrated as a new Dish user.
Jon
15 Replies

Re: Vip211k and Tailgater

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
The 211k won't do anything without the smart card. It links your account with the receiver. If there is any outstanding money owed on the serial number of your 211k, the unit will not work. When you get the smart card, you have to call DISH to validate the card with the receiver.

What happens when you connect the tailgater? Does it bring up the "scan" option?
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

BurnsNH
Character Actor
Yes it does bring up the scan screen and will get to either test 1 of 3 or it has gone to 2 of 3 but does not get past that. Sits there for hours until I cancel or reboot. The unit did work when I first called and activated it. It worked for a few days until I turned it off /on a few days later.

BurnsNH
Character Actor
Okay today I packed the receiver the tailgater a portable tv and my generator and went to a location with full xposure to the southern sky to ensure my problem was not my location of the dish. Still same results do a scan and it does not find any satellites. I do have the new card in the unit which I've been told has been activated. So I know my issue is not the location. So how do I narrow down if it's the receiver or tailgater unit that's not working. Also, can someone confirm the latest software level for the Vip211k. It was working for a few days when it was using L559. Now it's at L862 and nothing but problems.

DISH Employee
BurnsNH wrote:
Okay today I packed the receiver the tailgater a portable tv and my generator and went to a location with full xposure to the southern sky to ensure my problem was not my location of the dish. Still same results do a scan and it does not find any satellites. I do have the new card in the unit which I've been told has been activated. So I know my issue is not the location. So how do I narrow down if it's the receiver or tailgater unit that's not working. Also, can someone confirm the latest software level for the Vip211k. It was working for a few days when it was using L559. Now it's at L862 and nothing but problems.

Several things could be the cause of this. Your receiver, has it been activated on the account?
Hopefully you haven't opened up the Tailgater unit?
We'll need to troubleshoot with you.

Please PM on of the agents in green (I'm off Sun Mon Tues) to assist you further.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
Is it possible for you to have access to a 'dish with lnb' and set it up with a tripod and aim at the sats? If you can get a signal, the problem is with the tailgater. Are you getting 13-19 volts at the co-ax where it connects to the tailgater? If no volts, receiver is bad.
This might be simplistic, but is your HDMI cable from the receiver plugged into HDMI1 on the TV and is the TV input set to HDMI1

Maulcy54
Extra
I have a VIP211K and portable dish that I use for 4 months when I am a Seasonal National Park Service Ranger. I have the Hopper at home that has a dish mounted on the side of the house. When the Tech came and reconnected my service I saw that he only used 1 LNB connection. Can I connect to one of the other LNB connections and use my VIP211K for my TV in my office? Is this going to cause any problems with the Hopper or the 2 Joeys currently connect?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Maulcy54 wrote:
I have a VIP211K and portable dish that I use for 4 months when I am a Seasonal National Park Service Ranger. I have the Hopper at home that has a dish mounted on the side of the house. When the Tech came and reconnected my service I saw that he only used 1 LNB connection. Can I connect to one of the other LNB connections and use my VIP211K for my TV in my office? Is this going to cause any problems with the Hopper or the 2 Joeys currently connect?

Do you have the Hopper 3 at home?

Maulcy54
Extra
No I have the original Hooper with 2 joeys