Vip211k USB HDD Error "Cannot be used for an unknown reason"

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vip211k USB HDD Error "Cannot be used for an unknown reason"

shadowstar57
Character Actor
Hello, I've had the external hard drive function active for many years on my Vip 211k (paid the $40 years ago). Recently had a multiple power failure, and I decided to upgrade the external powered enclosed IDE HDD (from 80GB to 200GB). But the receiver is giving me the error that it cannot be used for an unknown reason and to try a different USB 2.0 drive.

With receiver on, I plug external HDD enclosure into receiver's USB port and power HDD on. Receiver recognizes drive has been plugged in, and asks to reformat, I select 'Yes', and after it says the error. I tried restarting and unplugging receiver, let it boot with and without the USB plugged in, after it boots, same thing, recognizes drive, asks to reformat, I select Yes, and error again.

I went back and reinstalled the old HDD and now it gives the same error. I tried yet another different 160GB HDD, and same error. I bought a new external powered USB 2.0 IDE HDD enclosure, and same error, tried the old enclosure (USB 2.0 external powered IDE), same error. Went into windows, did a low-level format of the hard drives, nothing. Reformatted to a linux Ext2, nothing. Wiped partitions and left unformatted, nothing. Reformatted to NTFS, confirmed it worked in windows, plugged into receiver, nothing.

2 enclosures, 3 hard drives, same error. What could possibly be going on? Been at it for couple of weeks now, any help would be greatly appreciated!! :?: :?:
8 Replies

Re: Vip211k USB HDD Error "Cannot be used for an unknown rea

Have you ever used a EHD that was designed as an EHD, not an enclosure? What is the exact model of the enclosure and does it meet all EHD requirements we have?

https://www.mydish.com/external-hard-drive
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

shadowstar57
Character Actor
All 3 are Maxtor HDD's: 80gb, 160gb, 200gb, and the enclosures are USB 2.0, self powered, IDE disk drives (not flash). I've used these enclosures (and previous ones) with no issues ever on the Vip211k for nearly 10 years. It's usually just plug in, reformat, and it goes. I can't say that they've been sold as an EHD package, but its a straight IDE and power supply connection inside the enclosure to the HDD, so it should be identical.

But, given it worked so well for so long, why would it all of a sudden stop one night? It recognizes the drive when plugged in, attempts to reformat, and then stops and gives the error. I verified the drives and enclosures work just fine in Windows (I copied videos and played from HDD to verify, ran diagnostic and surface tests, SMART tests, all passed). And I reformatted to Linux Ext2, Ext4, unformatted, wiped partitions, same results.

Is it possible the DVR connection in the receiver is the problem somehow, needs to be rebooted somehow? I already tried unplugging power from receiver for extended period and after startup, same results.

Thank you!!!

What is the message number in the corner when this shows? What is the software version on the receiver as well?

shadowstar57
Character Actor
Thanks for your assistance!
The error shown is 958
The software version is L861 RGUB-N

Have you tried using another USB cabh info we have on that error or any troubleshooting

shadowstar57
Character Actor
Yes, tried different usb cables, different power cables, no change; and all the other troubleshooting steps described.

I did notice the receiver had started restarting itself a few times after initially plugging in the new drive, but it stopped doing it overnight.

Will you please PM me with your phone number and PIN?

shadowstar57
Character Actor
ok, did you receive?