Video goes out but sound stays

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video goes out but sound stays

Mike86812
Extra
We have a super joey hooked up to a Toshiba LED 50L34000. Its a couple years old. Sometimes when changing channels or going from Netflix to tv the screen will go blank but the sound will still be playing. When this happens we can use the "house" icon to open the dish main menu but the tv video doesn't come back on. We have to restart the joey and unplug the tv to get video back.
We have been through 2 joeys and 2 super joeys with the same problem. I have also changed HDMI cords and switched ports with no luck.
Before we had the hopper/joey set up we had the old style Dish Box. We would have the opposite problem. The sound would go out but we would have video.
We have only had the problem on this 1 TV.
I have been doing some research on my own and from what I can tell it is a "handshake" issue with the HDMI. Does this mean that the HDMI board on the TV is bad or is it a problem with the Dish signal?
5 Replies

Re: Video goes out but sound stays

DISH Employee
Mike86812 wrote:
We have a super joey hooked up to a Toshiba LED 50L34000. Its a couple years old. Sometimes when changing channels or going from Netflix to tv the screen will go blank but the sound will still be playing. When this happens we can use the "house" icon to open the dish main menu but the tv video doesn't come back on. We have to restart the joey and unplug the tv to get video back.
We have been through 2 joeys and 2 super joeys with the same problem. I have also changed HDMI cords and switched ports with no luck.
Before we had the hopper/joey set up we had the old style Dish Box. We would have the opposite problem. The sound would go out but we would have video.
We have only had the problem on this 1 TV.
I have been doing some research on my own and from what I can tell it is a "handshake" issue with the HDMI. Does this mean that the HDMI board on the TV is bad or is it a problem with the Dish signal?

Hello Mike.
You've had a similar issue before, been through a few receivers, switched out HDMI and still having an issue.
Does your TV have the ability to update the softwear/firmwear? Some TV's even a few years old may need an update. Do you have a different HDMI port you can try? Maybe the input it bad? Or do you have RCA cables (yellow, red and white) to try that? Lower quality picture, but we can rule things out.

Mike86812
Extra
I have tried different HDMI ports and HDMI cables. I checked for updates but it said none were available at this time. I have not tried the RCA set up yet because of the design of the tv. It is mounted to a wall and I would need to take the set down to find the correct ports. Also its my dads tv, he would not accept a loss in quality of picture.

DISH Employee
Do you know what your current software version is?

tommyy2
Visual Engineer
Mike86812 wrote:
I have tried different HDMI ports and HDMI cables. I checked for updates but it said none were available at this time. I have not tried the RCA set up yet because of the design of the tv. It is mounted to a wall and I would need to take the set down to find the correct ports. Also its my dads tv, he would not accept a loss in quality of picture.

Agree with your dad about picture quality.

tommyy2
Visual Engineer
I agree with your dad about the picture quality, but if the TV has issues with it's HDMI ports?
The TV also supports component input (3video cables, 2 audio = 5 rca cables). Component really has quite good video quality and it's doubtful he would even notice the difference. Sadly I believe the Joey does not support component. However there are devices that can input HDMI and output component, you might put one between your Joey and TV. I bought one a few years ago on EBAY and it worked fine for me. Just looked there now and found one for ~$23:
Specifications:
1.Input Video Signal: 0.5-1.0 volts p-p
2.Input DDC Signal: 5 Volts p-p (TTL)
3.Input connection: HDMI A fememale(19Pin)
4.Output connection: YPbPr,R/L
5.HDMI video input format: 480i/576i/480p/576p/720p/1080i/1080P
6.YPbPr video output format: 480i/576i/480p/576p/720p/1080i/1080P
7.Audio output format: 2 channel LPCM
8.Vertial Frequency Range: 50/60HZ
9.Input Video Amplifier Bandwidth: 1.65Gbps/165MHz
10.Plug Type: US
11.Color: Black
12.Dimensions: 88 * 68 * 25.5mm(L* W * H)
13.ModelSmiley FrustratedD-020

There are more listed on ebay.
Remember if it ain't as described you get a prepaid label for return and your money back (worked a few times for me).
Of great importance is the HDCP support, try to verify what level would be required for the Joey to send data over the port and get a device that will support it, if the Joey cannot verify HDCP support you get nothing, but since it's not 4K I don't think it should be too stringent.

Maybe a lot of work but if it's cheap and the only way to make it work??

Good luck

Let me know what you finally decide to do.