VIP222k

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIP222k

voranis1
Character Actor
I posted an inquiry about the VIP222k receiver in these forums a long time ago (2013). Until recently I did not have the money to have the trees cut down that were blocking the line of sight for Dish, but now I have done that.

I desperately want to switch from DirecTV to Dish. My technician who identified what trees needed to be cut down told me to find out what receivers I wanted.

I do NOT want DVR capability. I have lots of questions, but the first is this: In 2013 the VIP222k seemed to be the perfect receiver for my needs. Is it still available?

Thanks,

Robbie
10 Replies

Re: VIP222k

DISH Employee
Thanks for your interest in our DISH services. To answer your question, yes non DVR model 222k is still available for use as primary receiver!

The 222k provides you with two independent signals to two televisions sets. Our competitors will charge you for the first outlet and the second outlet. Where DISH does not charge you for either. This alone will saves you $7-17 per month with DISH.

This is a great time to switch over to DISH! When you sign up with DISH for the 2 years contract and eAutoPay. We’ll guarantee our price for 2 years. For the price of $39.99 you’ll get: 1HD TV, Flex Pack and one channel add on of your choice! Please call 1-855-401-0090 or visit our website https://www.dish.com/ to sign up today.

voranis1
Character Actor
JessS,

Thanks!

I want to confirm a few things about the VIP22K that I was told in 2013:

(1) The reason I don't want a DVR is because I use standalone DVRs that allows me to transfer recordings to DVD. This is for personal use only; I don't sell anything. My DVRs only have composite inputs. The VIP22K does not have copy protection on the composite outputs--correct? (I don't care if the HDMI output has HDCP.) My DirecTV receivers have no CP on the composite outputs, but Time Warner Cable (now Spectrum) has CP on the composite outputs for some channels, in adfotion to CP on the HDMI output. I don't care about CP on the HDMI output as I don't use it, but I want to make sure there's no CP on the composite output.

(2) Does the VIP22K have a composite output for each tuner?

(3) I may have each VIP22K composite output connected to a different DVR. Can I use the remote to make a change to one tuner without the output of the other tuner being affected? In other words, I might be recording something from VBIP22K tuner 1 on composite output 1 to my standalone DVR. At the same time I might want to use the remote to change the channel on tuner 2 on composite output 2 which is connected to a second DVR. I want to make sure it will not affect the output on tuner 1 on composite output 1 and mess up the recording in progress on my first standalone DVR.

(4) I currently have a hybrid of digital cable and DirecTV. I needed the digital cable to get some HD channels that were not available on my SD DirecTV system because I could not upgrade DirecTV to HD because of the trees. Now that I've had the trees cleared, I want to switch to Dish (HD) and get rid of the cable and DirecTV. One thing I hated about the cable box is that it goes into sleep mode in the middle of the night--displaying a message saying "Press any key to keep watching." This messed up the recording on my standalone DVR. Also, when the cable box received an update, it would say it would come back on after the update, but it never did. This ruined some of my standalone DVR recordings too.

The DirecTV box never tries to go into sleep mode. It is always on, and when it receives an update, it comes back on, tuned to the same channel it was on before the update. Will this be the case for the VIP22K too?

(5) The VIP22K allows you to set timers or autotunes so it will tune to the specified channel at the specified time--correct?

(6) Just as I currently have 4 DirecTV receivers in my house, I will probably want 4 VIP22K receivers in four different rooms of the house. (Just as the Hopper has many tuners so many shows can be recorded at the same time, I have this need too at peak periods. If it weren't for the convenience of high-speed copying to DVD on my standalone recorders, I would just get a Hopper.)

I was told in 2013 that up to 3 VIP22K receivers can be leased but I would need to purchase the 4th one and I would need to talk to a special department at Dish to explain why I needed it. Is that still the case?

Thanks!

Robbie

222k is non-DVR, 722k does. You will want the 222k.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. You will need 2 remotes for what you want to do, but 2 are given (TV1 and TV2)
4. Inactivity standby can be lengthened.
5. Correct
6. Yes, the 4th would still need to be purchased.
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

voranis1
Character Actor
Thanks Matt!

Hopefully these are my last questions:

(1) My current DirecTV receiver doesn't allow for picture size changes, but presumably that is because it is an old SD receiver. My Time Warner Cable (Spectrum) HD box has settings for changing the aspect ratio (16:9 vs. 4:3) and the picture size (zoom, stretch, normal), but they don't work over the composite outputs. Presumably they affect the HDMI output, but I don't use that.

I was at a friend's house in January who had just got a new (to her) Dish (non-Hopper) DVR. The picture size controls work over the composite outputs to her old analog picture tube TV. The menu display for the picture size control is even readily available on the left side under the top banner.

I was pleased to see this, as I want the ability to adjust the picture size to minimize pillar-boxing/letter-boxing/window-boxing over the composite output to my analog standalone DVRs. I know Dish allows you to select the SD or HD feed of a channel (something Time Warner Cable took away where I live), but some channels only have an HD feed now and they downconvert to letter-boxed or worse on SD. So the picture size controls are important to me. Do they work over the composite outputs of the VIP222K? I thought I'd better double-check since the VIP222K is an older receiver.

(2) Speaking of SD/HD channels--if a channel has both an HD and an SD feed, and Dish carries both, am I able to specify which one I want when setting a timer?

Thanks again!

Robbie

(2)

1. Yes, HD channels will display over composite and just be SD PQ. You can change the format.

2. Depends on what you are wanting to do but most likely. The default is to have the SD duplicate hidden but this can be changed.

Note - It is actually cheaper monthly to have 1 Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys $15 DVR, $7x3 for Joeys - $36 total

4 222k receivers, 1st free, $14x3 for additional units, $42 total

I'd just get the Hopper system

voranis1
Character Actor
Matt,

I prefer to use my own standalone DVRs as they have high-speed transfer to DVD (for personal use only). I prefer to record on my standalone DVRs from the composite outputs of each receiver in real time. It's much less cumbersome than recording on the Hopper, then having to play it on the Hopper or Joey and record it again to my standalone DVR, which would be a two-pass operation and take twice as long.

Or are you saying the Joeys can do what I want? Does each Joey have two sets of composite outputs? Can I set timers from each Joey and direct which of the two composite outputs on the Joey I want the tuner for that timer to display on?

Robbie

The Joeys only have 1 set of composite outputs so maybe the 222s would work better for you. You can set up autotune timers that are specific to that Joey

voranis1
Character Actor
Thanks Matt!

As I said in an earlier comment in this thread, if it weren't for my need to use my standalone DVRs for the high-speed DVD copy (I can even record a new program while copying a previously recorded program to DVD, and the copy of a 2-hour recording to DVD takes only 10 minutes), I would just get a Hopper. My Pioneer DVRs are no longer made and irreplaceable; once they have died out I will probably switch to Hopper then. Just to reiterate: I just like to save DVDs of my favorite recordings to watch again when I feel like it. (Satellite/cable DVRs can die and all recordings are lost when that happens.) I don't sell anything I record.

Robbie

voranis1
Character Actor
I have three more questions:

(1) The technician said he will need my credit card to sign me up with Dish. Is that correct? I don't remember needing a credit card when I signed up with DirecTV--but that was 17 years ago.

(2) Currently DirecTV sends e-bills to my bank (Bank of America) and I pay using the bank's online bill pay service. Does Dish offer that?

(3) Currently I pay my bills manually using online bill pay. Dish doesn't require automatic draft, does it? I don't like automatic draft as my income is not deposited on the same day each month.

Robbie