VIP 722 Overheating, rebooting and freezing up

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIP 722 Overheating, rebooting and freezing up

dschocke
Extra
My receiver has recently started to give me hard drive errors, it is overheating and rebooting without coming back on fully. I have to unplug it constantly and let it sit for about 10 minutes before I can get it up and running again. Playback on DVR recordings is freezing up and when it does that it also freezes live TV. Yes, it has plenty of circulation around it. What are my options for replacing or upgrading without incurring more charges and a larger bill?
5 Replies

Re: VIP 722 Overheating, rebooting and freezing up

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Sounds like the receiver needs replaced. You'd get the same model receiver which wouldn't increase your bill. You can upgrade to the Hopper system, but you'd see an increase in your dvr fee, and depending on how many tv's you have in your house, can also increase your bill. Also, and upgrade would result in a new 24 month commitment.

DISH Employee
I can help you with this today. Are you seeing the error message for the Overheating of this unit listed on the screen? Can you PM me with the phone number and 4-digit PIN on the account to better help you?

dschocke
Extra
Hi Mike,
As for the overheating, I came home for lunch yesterday and the receiver, which had been off for more than four hours, was making a "high pitched squeal". I unplugged it when I left for work and it was off the rest of the day. It has been working but the case is extremely hot after running for a couple of hours. That said I don't want to raise my bill, since it seems to keep going up anyway, so I would like to get a replacement receiver if that is possible. My phone number is xxx.xxx.xxxx and the PIN is XXXX. I'm assuming that there will be no charge for any of this seeing as the receiver is failing and we rent it from you.

peggyrh
Associate Producer

need to remove your private information.
send a PM (private message) by clicking on the name in orange (Dish rep) or the small PM icon on right.

DISH Employee
I have modified your post and I have PM you with my response.