cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Use voice without google!

cbaker89
Character Actor

Exactly, I have a customer for YEARS.  This will be the final straw.  Sure the mic will be cut off, sure google won't listen.  Bull, looks like it will be streaming for me.

tothatcher
Character Actor

Please get the programmers on this.  What used to be a good voice remote became useless with Google Assistant.  Why do I not have the option for the voice to interact with Dish programs?  After all I am using a Dish remote.  If I am searching for gymnastics because the US is qualifying, why does it give me directions to a local gymnastics gym?  At 65 I am interested in watching the nations best, but I do not want to participate with locals.  The voice feature used to work and it no longer does.  Give the customer a choice of which way to use the remote.  I do use Google frequently but I want to use it on  my iPhone, iPad, laptop, and desktop.  I do not want to subject everyone on my living room to watch me search on the main TV.

ibwonderful
Camera Crew

Excellent post. I don't like being forced to use Google, who is already invading our privacy. Enough already. It's OUR choice, no Dish TV's...........it won't be long until I am done with them.....

Bella
Extra

Yeah right. I don't believe that for a second. I got drawn in by the remote feature and Dish takes it away if I don't comply to your demands. Thank you for allowing me to pay you every month for you to disreguard a feature later that you removed because I won't accept Google.

DaninNJ
Character Actor

Dish needs to re-think this position. You take away a feature and then tell customers to buy something else, from another company, something they don't want, and such it up.  No. This kind of attitude is why I ditched DirecTV.

@Jason_C wrote:

To clarify, voice control will now use Google Assistant Voice moving forward.

You will have to accept Google terms and services to use this voice functionality.  If you you do not want to accept these terms you can disable voice search and text search will continue to function.

Customers using the Spanish UI will continue to use legacy voice search, not Google.  This is because the current version of Google Asssistant Voice for Dish does not understand Spanish commands.  This is being worked on, and in the future it is intended for the Spanish UI to also use Google Assistant Voice.

Yes, using a paired Alexa device to control your receiver instead of your voice remote will work outside of Google Assistant Voice.  However, those whose primary concern is privacy would merely be trading Google for Amazon in that scenario.

There are no current plans to retain legacy voice, but we do take all feedback very seriously and nothing is written in stone at this time.  Thank you everyone for posting your concerns on this change.

DaninNJ
Character Actor

Weak answer. Basically, take it or leave it.  Some will, some will follow.

BRM
Character Actor

So you acknowledge that you are requiring your customers to relenquish their privacy in order to utilize the advertized feature of voice remote.  And you acknowledge that as a user we have no alternative other than disabling voice search, a feature that your customers have enjoyed for years. 

Surely Dish recognizes that a large portion of its customer base is there just because the cable companies out there utilize that same sort of heavy handed treatment.  As you know, Dish, like other cable/satellite suppliers have been bleeding customers for some time.  You just have to wonder what kind of management logic suggests that the way to stem that customer loss is to mimic the cable companies behavior that brought us here in the first place. 

Every day foolish companies like Dish make it easier to move on to more customer oriented offerings.