Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Use voice without google!

dfdish1
Camera Crew

Hello,

I can't find how to get the voice remotes to work again?  I didn't have any problem since I started using them a year or two ago but now they want to use google assistant.  However, I don't want google tracking my usage, ip, or any information and I don't want a google account.   How do I restore the voice functionality of the remotes?  It was one of the features dish promoted and I considered.  After seeing a demo, I decided to go ahead and choose dish. 

Thanks.

26 Replies

Re: Use voice without google!

Roadijeff
Cinematographer

If you have Alexa, there's a recent thread on how to use voice commands through it.

Alexa work around for Google assistant!

CGATEWD
Character Actor

That's not a answer . I don't want internet on it at all .

Roadijeff
Cinematographer

It's an answer, just not one that apparently works for you.  I  believe even the old voice command had to have an Internet connection for it to work.

CGATEWD
Character Actor

LOL  ! Correct , it is "a" answer , but I don't think another path to the internet is the answer we are looking for . We have limited data here , and cannot use Net Flix , etc because of limits . If the remote was using internet before , I didn't know it . Don't want to use internet search engines , what's "the" answer .

DubVee
Character Actor

The answer you seek is that you want your old voice remote back without Google Assistant - correct?  This is becoming a popular question, one that Dish does not have said answer.  There are other threads on the subject, I posted a fix that I was told in an online chat with Dish would work - it did not.  So far it looks like your options are:

1. User Google Assistant
  2. Disable Voice Remote
  3. Switch to Spanish (rumor is Google doesn't work for Spanish, so if the Hopper is set to Spanish the old voice remote is still here.  Do you speak Spanish?)
  4. Leave Dish

I am still in contact with support in hopes of a solution.  I love Dish.  I do not want Google Assistant.

DISH Employee

To clarify, voice control will now use Google Assistant Voice moving forward.

You will have to accept Google terms and services to use this voice functionality.  If you you do not want to accept these terms you can disable voice search and text search will continue to function.

Customers using the Spanish UI will continue to use legacy voice search, not Google.  This is because the current version of Google Asssistant Voice for Dish does not understand Spanish commands.  This is being worked on, and in the future it is intended for the Spanish UI to also use Google Assistant Voice.

Yes, using a paired Alexa device to control your receiver instead of your voice remote will work outside of Google Assistant Voice.  However, those whose primary concern is privacy would merely be trading Google for Amazon in that scenario.

There are no current plans to retain legacy voice, but we do take all feedback very seriously and nothing is written in stone at this time.  Thank you everyone for posting your concerns on this change.

CGATEWD
Character Actor

Thank you ! That is what I wanted to know . Not what I wanted to hear , but what I wanted to know .  I appreciate you help . I also just had a problem with Dish trying to get ABC CBS NBC & FOX in my camper at Bristol Motor Speedway . I had removed the "local channel pack" at home , because of free OTA antenna channels . Dumb me thought "local channels " meant "local" at home . NOPE ! It means ABC CBS NBC & FOX wherever you are after you call in your zip code . They are not in main package out of NY , CHI , SF , BF Egypt , or any where else . THEN after I had them put on , they tell me I will only get 2 of them because of contract conflicts . Great ! $12 a month for 2 channels is BS ..... but that is a problem for another day / thread . Looking  at that , and the remote thing , going back to Direct doesn't sound so bad . Had them for years no problem .  Oh well , just venting . Thank you again for your help . I'll shut up now .  LOL

Malc
Character Actor

I have been with Dish fior over 20 years.  I have been relatively satisfied.  However, I am now nearing the end of my tolerance.  Dish should look at this from the subscriber’s perspective (you know the one that pays for the service).  Here are 2 big issues:  1) can no longer use voice enabled remote ( I bought 3 -would Dish like to buy them back?) without forfeiting privacy to google. 2) No ACC network and absolutely no official word from Dish.

i have not thought about leaving for over 2 decades, but these decisions are pushing me to explore other opportunities.

EdGianini
Costume Designer

100% agree get that crap off remote-- Skunk Vomits at google tarcking us