Upgrading to new Hopper DVR

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to new Hopper DVR

ryancwill
Camera Crew
I have an appointment to upgrade my first generation Hopper with a Hopper w sling to help speed up lag introduced with the new UI.

I have a few questions about upgrade.

1)
I was told that my recordings could be transferred from old Hopper to the new one. I was also told that recordings I have on my external HD would be able to be viewed on new DVR without doing anything to them. Just plug ext HD into new Hopper and they will work.

Need confirmation that these are both true.

2)
Assuming info above is correct, I was thinking that it would save time to have as many recordings transferred to the ext HD as possible to reduce Hopper to Hopper transfer time. Is this worth me taking time to do? or is the LAN cable transfer very fast. My Hopper is currently about 75% full. I think I can get this to about 50% transferring to the free space on my ext HD.

3)
Was wondering if folders, timers, and preferences will transfer to the new Hopper. If not , I need to take time to capture these so they can be recreated on the new Hopper.

4)
Unsure if I will receive a new remote or not, but if I do, will custom programing for AUX devices transfer t the new remote? I spent several hours mapping my new TV features to the remote and hate to have to do this again.

Thanks for the help. Want to have everything necessary done in advance of appointment.
6 Replies

Re: Upgrading to new Hopper DVR

Chadt41411
Casting Director
1) yes they can
2) its better to mo move to EHD.
3) if you keep the old remote they will.
4)no

You'll be just as upset with the H2. If upgrading, you should choose an H3.

ryancwill
Camera Crew
Chadt4141 wrote:

This is disappointing to hear as I was told that it would make the situation better. I have not been happy since the update happened. I had zero issues before. Dish made the decision to roll the new UI to equipment that was functioning perfectly but was not powerful enough to handle the new UI. I refuse to pay additional monthly costs for the Hopper 3 and refuse to pay anything to upgrade to a new receiver when all the issues I am having are due to what I feel was a bad decision totally out of my control.

I guess I will see how it goes. If it is still terrible lag, I will have to see where we can go from there. Possibly another provider, which is a shame as I'm happy with Dish other than this terrible new UI performance on my equipment.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The monthly DVR fee is the same for every DVR.

cycleman
Character Actor
Chadt4141 wrote:

I just off chat and was told to upgrade from Hopper w/sling to Hopper 3 would cost me a one time fee of $100 and my monthly fee would go up $3.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
cycleman wrote:
Chadt4141 wrote:

I just off chat and was told to upgrade from Hopper w/sling to Hopper 3 would cost me a one time fee of $100 and my monthly fee would go up $3.

Thats because you have a grandfathered fee. If you were to sign up today, the DVR fee is the same for all DVR, at $15. You'd see the increase because you would be losing the grandfathered reduced fee.

tommyy2
Visual Engineer
Don't do it!
The Hopper w/sling is very bad on the new UI -read the posts. Maybe not as bad as the orig Hopper but still very bad.
As soon as you sign for the install of the H/sling I believe you're stuck with a full 2 year commit.

The Hopper w/sling is not the answer. Get an H3 now or go somewhere else.

ryancwill wrote:
Chadt4141 wrote:

This is disappointing to hear as I was told that it would make the situation better. I have not been happy since the update happened. I had zero issues before. Dish made the decision to roll the new UI to equipment that was functioning perfectly but was not powerful enough to handle the new UI. I refuse to pay additional monthly costs for the Hopper 3 and refuse to pay anything to upgrade to a new receiver when all the issues I am having are due to what I feel was a bad decision totally out of my control.

I guess I will see how it goes. If it is still terrible lag, I will have to see where we can go from there. Possibly another provider, which is a shame as I'm happy with Dish other than this terrible new UI performance on my equipment.