Upgraded to Hopper 3 but picture quality is worse than 722

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Hopper 3 but picture quality is worse than 722

bshurley
Extra
So I made the switch and upgraded to a new Hopper 3 and Joey from an older model 722 VIP but picture quality is remarkably worse! With the older 722 I was getting Crystal Clear HD reception and with the New Hopper 3 my quality has downgraded to around 480!

Both the old 722 and Hopper 3 are hooked up to the same TV, a Samsung 4K TV. I thought for sure that upgrading to the Hopper 3 and getting a new dish (my other one was 9 years old) would produced an improved image but it has been significantly degraded.

I have checked the resolution in the settings menu and it says that is on 4K,1080 but it is definitely not. I even switched between all of the resolutions and saw no change between any of them. I checked the signal strength and it is bouncing between 60-67. The picture quality on the Joey (around 720) is better than the main unit but it is still not as good as the older unit. I have also tried multiple resets and nothing has seemed to work.

Is there a setting that I am not seeing or could this be a defective unit? Are the Techs supposed to run new coax cables for the new dish or are the old ones just as good. Looking for any help!

Thanks
18 Replies

Re: Upgraded to Hopper 3 but picture quality is worse than 7

Chadt41411
Casting Director

The coax wouldn't make a difference on resolution quality. Reset the Hopper, let it start all back up. Is it HDMI connected? Does it go from hopper to TV, or Hopper, AVR, TV? Is this on all channels? Double check to make sure it is the HD version, and not the SD version?

peggyrh
Associate Producer
and make sure overscan is not on, check the tv settings on the Hopper menu, adjust screen and see if all circles are inside the screen frame.

bshurley
Extra
I have reset the Hopper several times and still looks the same. Yes it is connected by HDMI directly from the Hopper to my TV. Yes it is the HD version of the channel and the SD versions look worse. Some channels do look slightly better but still not as crisp and clean as the 722. It is almost as if the screen is out of focus slightly. Hazy sort of.

I have adjusted the screen settings as well.

Still looks the same. Thanks for the suggestions though

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Check the settings to be sure it's set for what your TV supports. Try a different TV as well to see if same issue is present. Swap HDMI cables as well.

If you feel the video isn't good, I would phone contact DISH support and have them help you with this. Give your TV Mfr and model to them as well.

Ashflash
Extra
Hey, I’m having the exact same issue as you mentioned with the out of focus and fuzzy picture. I upgraded from a hopper with sling to hopper 3 and feel as if everything looked better on the older hopper. Please let me know if you found a solution.

The tech gave me a solution, move my couch back more, the further I am from the tv he said the sharper the image. I’m thinking about putting my couch across the street and watching tv from there.

DISH Employee

Hello, Ashflash. If you're dealing with a fuzzy picture there could be a couple of causes. Most of the suggestions above is what we would ask you to try ourselves. Have you already tried what was mentioned above? If you have, would you mind sending me a Private Message me your phone number and 4-digit PIN. I would love to further assist you. 

bigdenver
Character Actor

Same here!  I just "upgraded" from the 722 to the Hopper 3.  Picture is terrible on my 80" Sharp YV.  The 722 looked great.  The OTA PQ is just as bad as the satellite feed, and all other channels look "soft" and out of focus.  Movies are unwatchable. 

I have been with Dish for 21 years and out of contract for 20 of those.  They suckered me with better equipment and a lower rate when I called in to cancel.  I should have ran the other way then!  They have had me wait for a tech three times in the past week, as the first receiver they brought had a hard drvie issue. 

This is really lousy, as I though quality was supposed to improve over the years.

DISH Employee

bigdenver, Have we checked House button twice > Settings > TV > Video Resolution and make sure that it is set to 1080p ? With the OTA I would try to re-position it and re-scan to see if the channels come in any clearer. If we have attempted these, please send me a Private Message with the phone number on the account and the 4 digit security PIN. 

bigdenver
Character Actor