Upgrade to Hopper with sling

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Hopper with sling

ScottH
Character Actor
I’m about to upgrade to Hopper with sling. Can my old RG-6 cable be used with new system?
6 Replies

Re: Upgrade to Hopper with sling

tommyy2
Cinematographer

I was happy with my Hopper w/sling for years, but that all changed when they released the new user interface.  The new Interfaced was designed for the Hopper3 which is many times faster and more powerful than the Hopper w/sling.  The Hopper w/sling just lacked the power to run it.  Suddenly it all slowed down,  everything I wanted to do took so much longer, press a button and wait, wait a little longer, plus all kinds of bugs started to appear that made recordings being done correctly questionable.  I moved on the Hopper 3 and while it's not perfect I found it worlds better than my Hopper w/sling had become.

I can't say exactly how the Hopper with sling is right now but I would not recommend anyone signing up for one, get a Hopper 3 if you got to upgrade.

ScottH
Character Actor
Thank you for that info. So do I need new cables to upgrade to the hopper 3 or hopper sling? I’m using RG6 cables installed 15 years ago.

tommyy2
Cinematographer

When I got the Hopper w/sling they used the existing cables in th attic, when I got the H3 (17 tuners) they had to replace those cables and the LNB but there was no charge for doing it.

Sorry but I'm not sure what type cable it was they had to replace,

Hopefully someone from Dish will jump in and give you a better answer.

ScottH
Character Actor
Thanks for your input.
Highlighted

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
RG6 is the current standard for tv. RG59 is the old cable, and is not recommended, but will work with the Joeys.

ScottH
Character Actor
Ok great. Thanks for clearing that up for me.