Unannounced Reboot To Run System Check

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unannounced Reboot To Run System Check

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

For the second time in the past few weeks, during regular daytime/evening watch hours, my Hopper 3 w/sling (U532) has rebooted to do what it shows as 1559 "Currently Running System Check" (which remains on the screen for a minute or two) followed by a quick flash of a message about Checking the External Hard Drives. The whole procedure lasts 3-4 minutes and of course interrupts any programming that is being viewed.

I checked the setting for the Nightly Update and it is set at 1 AM so I don't know why this is happening and why it doesn't happen during the 1 AM update.

28 Replies

Re: Unannounced Reboot To Run System Check

Chadt4141
Production Manager
That is not the same as the nightly update. That is the receiver recognizing something wrong and trying to correct it.

DISH Employee

Chad is, and is not, correct.  This message will appear when the receiver is  trying to recover from a internal issue such as being stuck in a reboot cycle.  However, it will also occur after every nightly update.

Typically speaking nightly updates will fire within the hour you select, in your case somewhere between 1am and 2am.  There are a number of things  that can cause this to be delayed.  Any tuner activity, such as someone watching a joey will get the option to skip the update, also any timers that are scheduled will delay the update.

I am not saying this is what is occuring here, but we have seen reports where the customer had created "new and rerun" timers for older shows that were syndicated and just did not realize some channels played those shows at night.  This resulted in their update being delayed into the morning.

When the update is delayed, it will be delayed into the next open hour.  So if you had an event recording between say 1:30am and 2:30am, the update would be delayed to be between 3am and 4am.

I hope this explanation makes sense, and please feel free to ask any questions if you need more detail.

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

Jason_C

Thanks for the explination but what still puzzles me about this is that the regular nightly update lets you know that it's going to happen so that you can opt out (delay) if you're in the middle of something and the times that this had happened, during regular viewing hours, it has been unannounced and began to run without notification and without any way to stop it from interrupting the program that you're watching.

The last time it did that it was actually about 11 PM and it certainly would have had numerous times to run that day if the regular 1 AM update had been postponed 22 hours earlier...very strange.

Paul

DISH Employee

Thank you for providing this additional information. Upon looking into this issue more i see that there have been several reports of this happening. It has been forwarded over to our engineering team for review, and I have added your name to the list of customers being affected by this issue. Once a fix has been determined it will be sent to your receiver in the form of a software update. 

DISH Employee

It is definitely something we are looking at Kachina, I have a few theories about it but we don't have a specific answer for what might happen if the update is significantly delayed.  As far as updates go the key thing is just making sure you get one at least once every 2-3 days, it doesn't really begin to become a major issue unless they are missed multiple days in a row.

Just to reiterate though,  1599 can appear as a result of a technical issue as well.  So it is important to keep an eye on what is happening before you saw that pop up, and how often you are seeing it.  If it is happening multiple times a day, or back to back, it may be a sign of a bigger issue with the receiver.

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

Jason_C & KimberlyH

This might be a long shot but since this is the first time I have noticed a quick flash of a message about Checking the External Hard Drive(s), during this last unannounced system check/update, could it in any way be related to the known issue of EHD's disappearing?

Most of the times when one or both of my EHD's disappear it's sometime during the night, so who knows, but on ocassion one or both will disappear during the day. Sometimes it's every day or couple of days and sometimes weeks will go by without losing any EHD's...it's totally at random.

In all fairness I may have not seen this message before during a system check/update, since most of the time I'm not watching TV when it does the normal 1 AM system check/updates.

Since I've only had this unannounced system check/update happen twice it certainly doesn't correspond to the numerous times that the EHD's have disappeared (the first time the EHD's had already disappeared prior to that but came back after the unannounced check/reboot...the second time the EHD's were both there before and after the unannounced check/reboot) but maybe what triggers (or trys to trigger) the disappearing EHD's could have triggered this unannounced system check...who knows?

Thanks
Paul

DISH Employee

Thank you for that information. There is a current known issue about some External Hard Drives not being recognized. After the message about checking your Hard Drive, do you notice if the recordings stored in there go missing? 

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

Hi Carina

No, never anything missing from the EHD's.

I've been dealing with the EHD issue and sharing info on other threads regarding it for quite some time. It's just a pain when you want to watch something on an EHD and find that you have to reboot but can't because you have something recording at the time. Ocassionally I can get one or both to come back by either unplugging/replugging the USB or the power to the offending EHD and when that doesn't work then sometimes pressing the reset button will do it but not always, in which case I have to unplug the Hopper 3 and that always works.

My thought was that since I saw the "checking external hard drive" message during the unannounced system check/update, that there may be an outside chance that it was somehow related to the EHD issue.

Paul

DISH Employee

I definitely understand, and we appreciate you bringing this information to our attention! Are you able to catch if there's a 3-digit number in the upper right of the EHD message?