USB 3.0 port for EHD doesn't work on Hopper 3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 port for EHD doesn't work on Hopper 3

Had a Hopper w/Sling with External Hard drive and upgraded to Hopper 3. Oh look - it has a blue USB 3.0 port on the back. Obviously I'd like to take advantage of the 10x faster speeds of USB 3.0, [b:e7240ywt][u:e7240ywt]which came out in November, 2008[/u:e7240ywt][/b:e7240ywt]. Transferred hard drive to a USB 3.0 enclosure, plugged it in and nothing. Move cable to the USB 2.0 port and Hopper 3 sees the EHD.

I ended up here because a google search turned up a thread entitled "External Hard Drive (EHD) Problems Hopper 3" (which I tried to link here but get errors when submitting this thread). Anyway, on the first page it sounds like he got it working but then it went south on the second page. I did some more searching and then called Dish Tech Support and was told there was no record of anyone asking why the Hopper 3 doesn't support USB 3.0. Really?

Can anyone provide more information?
1 Reply

Re: USB 3.0 port for EHD doesn't work on Hopper 3

DISH Employee
Hello Paul. USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0 and do generally work. It is strange that this does not work in just the 3.0 port but if you can get it to work in the 2.0 port we will say to use the 2.0. We cannot say why it is not working on the other port as this may be a bad port on the receiver. Officially, we only support 2.0.