UPDATE!!!UPDATE!!!UPDATE!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE!!!UPDATE!!!UPDATE!!!

bhoyt247
Extra
:x :x What in freaking heck is going on with Dish and those stupid updates EVERY DAY!!!!!!!! You mean to tell me that an engineer can not give us the ability to choose to update once a week or every 2 weeks? Those stupid updates cut off my recordings, viewings, and all around Dish pleasure. Direct TV is looking better and better every day that my TV shuts off for some daily update. Last year they said they were working on a solution. Guess what that was. A down grade to a receiver that only records 1 show at a time. In this day and age of technological advancement Dish needs to catch up and stop interrupting our viewing. Some people work 2nd shift and are wide awake at 1 am. Direct TV you my only friend.
37 Replies

Re: UPDATE!!!UPDATE!!!UPDATE!!!

If you are referring to the nightly updates this happens to update things like the guide data. The time cannot be changed on the Hopper system.
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

RickObe
Visual Engineer
If you have the new user interface, and if you make sure you put your hopper and Joey is in standby when not in use, you should not be interrupted during the late night viewing.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I think you can set and event as well from midnight to 6am and this will prevent the update from happening. I haven't received any updates since about the first week of Feb on my system.

blautens
Character Actor
e38BimmerFN wrote:
I think you can set and event as well from midnight to 6am and this will prevent the update from happening. I haven't received any updates since about the first week of Feb on my system.

Ah, nope. I have always had events scheduled during the 1AM reboot and it never did anything. Adding a longer one changed nothing.

I really enjoyed watching it reboot as I'm watching AND recording a show or two. Every day. No exceptions. 1 AM. And it's nice to have a show listed twice in the DVR (1st part and 2nd part), with a nice 2 to 3 minute gap in the middle.

What I did find, but I can't prove it, is this - I recall some post about this daily schedule of rebooting happening if updates failed, otherwise the interval was supposed to be no more than once every 72 hours.

And while the updates were successful, and the software current on my Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys, I have a 3rd Joey (sort of a spare) that I use only via WiFi (a real Dish branded NetGear 802.11 USB WiFi adapter!) and I only use it to bring an extra panel outside during football season, and even that is rare. It hadn't been powered on in 3 or 4 months. So I fired that spare Joey up and left it on, it got a software update, I leave it plugged in overnight and since then I don't get reboots EVERY night at 1 AM.

The theory here is that all my equipment wasn't up to date (the so called spare Joey), so it was constantly looking to update - sort of the same as an update failing.

I'm not sure what the update/reboot interval is now, but it's not enough to truly torque me off, especially because the [b:2apr10kt]last software update to the Hopper 3 has rendered it an unreliable and barely usable example of incredibly poor engineering[/b:2apr10kt], so I have WAY more issues than just the standard poorly engineered updating solutions - now I can barely watch TV. Record? Playback. Maybe. Maybe not.

*sigh* I really regret upgrading...

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I just got a 3rd Joey I bought my self and got to set up last weekend. It did need a SW update and it did. I rarely am up at 1am and if I am the last time I noticed something it asked me about shutting down which I could continue or cancel it. Last update for my Hopper was on 2/8 and that was U343. I have not seen U344 and presume maybe it's no longer available to me or the entire Hopper community as I have looked at my system a few times since users posted about U344 and mine hasn't been updated to it. My Hopper and Joey system isn't used at 1am for the most part and nothing set to interrupt anything so if I was going to get an update, U344 could be seen however DISH may not be pushing it.

My system is all connected via LAN network CAT6 for the Joeys and Hopper.

blautens
Character Actor
e38BimmerFN wrote:
I just got a 3rd Joey I bought my self and got to set up last weekend. It did need a SW update and it did. I rarely am up at 1am and if I am the last time I noticed something it asked me about shutting down which I could continue or cancel it. Last update for my Hopper was on 2/8 and that was U343. I have not seen U344 and presume maybe it's no longer available to me or the entire Hopper community as I have looked at my system a few times since users posted about U344 and mine hasn't been updated to it. My Hopper and Joey system isn't used at 1am for the most part and nothing set to interrupt anything so if I was going to get an update, U344 could be seen however DISH may not be pushing it.

My system is all connected via LAN network CAT6 for the Joeys and Hopper.

I'm glad it works well for you. It gives me hope. Previously, my 2 HWS units and 2 Joeys worked well for me for 3 years while still providing the kind of redundancy a technology worker like myself likes to see, and works so hard to have in every aspect of my life, from cars, to my servers, storage, ISPs, even to shoes (actually my shoes are more like ZFS - I really squirrel away a lot of them when I find one that I like, often in curious places).

And sadly, the warning you mention on your H3 doesn't appear on the Joeys - they just think the receiver is missing and go dark and eventually tell you they can't find a receiver. Bad times if your wife is relatively confined to bed after infusion therapy every 3 weeks. Yes, I can find semi reasonable workarounds. And I find she uses the Roku and Chromecast more than the Joey these days. And I'm working hard to add DVR and OTA features to my Plex servers.

Doesn't make the updates that are certainly plaguing a number of people fair. And it might explain why Dish technicians have enough free time to fix smartphones and washing machines...less subscriber base.
http://www.fiercecable.com/operators/di ... g-machines

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
You might look into connecting up your Joeys like I have mine. Review the link in my reply.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
blautens wrote:
e38BimmerFN wrote:

Ah, nope. I have always had events scheduled during the 1AM reboot and it never did anything. Adding a longer one changed nothing.

I really enjoyed watching it reboot as I'm watching AND recording a show or two. Every day. No exceptions. 1 AM. And it's nice to have a show listed twice in the DVR (1st part and 2nd part), with a nice 2 to 3 minute gap in the middle.

What I did find, but I can't prove it, is this - I recall some post about this daily schedule of rebooting happening if updates failed, otherwise the interval was supposed to be no more than once every 72 hours.

And while the updates were successful, and the software current on my Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys, I have a 3rd Joey (sort of a spare) that I use only via WiFi (a real Dish branded NetGear 802.11 USB WiFi adapter!) and I only use it to bring an extra panel outside during football season, and even that is rare. It hadn't been powered on in 3 or 4 months. So I fired that spare Joey up and left it on, it got a software update, I leave it plugged in overnight and since then I don't get reboots EVERY night at 1 AM.

The theory here is that all my equipment wasn't up to date (the so called spare Joey), so it was constantly looking to update - sort of the same as an update failing.

I'm not sure what the update/reboot interval is now, but it's not enough to truly torque me off, especially because the [b:elsmletu]last software update to the Hopper 3 has rendered it an unreliable and barely usable example of incredibly poor engineering[/b:elsmletu], so I have WAY more issues than just the standard poorly engineered updating solutions - now I can barely watch TV. Record? Playback. Maybe. Maybe not.

*sigh* I really regret upgrading...

The idea of setting up recordings thru the 1AM hour to prevent the dang thing from shutting down does NOT work! We are late night TV watchers and at least every third night, WITHOUT WARNING, the screen goes black at 1AM sharp....eventually it usually gets around to doing it's "kangaroo thing" but sometimes after 5 minutes or so, I have to push the red button. This is SOOO frustrating. I'm part of "Camp Regret" when I moved to Dish and then "upgraded".

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I would contact one of the forum moderators in GREEN and ask them for a feature request to add either a check box or something in the Hopper SW to allow either updates to be done later or have a night owl mode so instead of updates happening between 12am and 6am, if you have a check box enabled, sets the update to happen 6am to 12pm or something like that. Shouldn't be to hard to just add something or at least bring up a message stating an update is available and allow the user to cancel it during the hours your watching TV.