cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: UPDATE!!!UPDATE!!!UPDATE!!!

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
e38BimmerFN wrote:
I think you can set and event as well from midnight to 6am and this will prevent the update from happening. I haven't received any updates since about the first week of Feb on my system.

Only works for 2 nights - the 3rd night, come-hell-or-high-water, that thing is going to do it's 1AM update, regardless of what is recording, or whatever else you might try with your system. I speak from experience of many split-recordings and sitting in the dark for almost 10 minutes every 3rd night. To say I'm PO'd is putting it mildly!

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
peggyrh wrote:
Sorry, but people have been asking for a user configurable update time on Hoppers since the first one was released over 4 yrs ago, it's not going to happen. There are hundreds of posts about it.

What Peggy said!!!

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
e38BimmerFN wrote:
Maybe however worth asking. Would be nice to allow the user to at least postpone an update. :?

There was actually a time when that worked - although it may have been with the previous Hopper version(s). If something was recording, no update would occur until that recording was finished. Then there was a dialog box that would pop up, allowing you to postpone a reboot until you at least finished what you were watching (or a commercial was happening)......
Now, every third night, anything recording is halted. There is no dialog box. No warning (other than the clock, which I have hung right above the TV now) ..... the screen just goes dark for more than 5 minutes before you see the annoying "Kangaroo". Then a total of close to 10 minutes without whatever you were watching.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Something you might contact one of the forum moderators and ask about. Most of my recording are done prior to midnight. I occasion, I have watch TV past 1am and have not notice any halts or stop while in this time frame. Most of my updates happen between 4 and 6am I think.
Highlighted

alokep
Camera Crew
Instead of giving the users a choice on when to download and apply updates to the guide or firmware, make it so that it happens in the background regardless of what's going on with the H3: recording, playback, live tv, home media, whatever. Delay the re-boot (when necessary after software update) to when there is no DVR activity.

Problem solved.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
alokep wrote:
Instead of giving the users a choice on when to download and apply updates to the guide or firmware, make it so that it happens in the background regardless of what's going on with the H3: recording, playback, live tv, home media, whatever. Delay the re-boot (when necessary after software update) to when there is no DVR activity.

Problem solved.

That would so awesome!

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!"

alokep
Camera Crew
There should be NO reason why guide updates should interrupt any ongoing H3 activities. (This is a wish.. not describing the current mode of operations).

Firmware updates can be tricky, but any modern OS can defer re-starts, especially variants of Linux that H3 is probably using.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
I don't know that "Guide Updates" interfere with the operation of the H3 - I've seen messages indicated that this was in progress while I have everything turned on. It appears to me that whatever occurs during this "nightly" (or in my case, every 3rd night) update is what actually causes to Hopper to reboot and interrupt live viewing and ongoing recordings.

aellis722
Character Actor
Those nightly updates really made me mad. They fixed the issue in the new software, but please don't update your software with the old hopper boxes. The old boxes are so slow and laggy with the new software.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
RickObe wrote:
If you have the new user interface, and if you make sure you put your hopper and Joey is in standby when not in use, you should not be interrupted during the late night viewing.

That only works to a point - If you use this to postpone the reboot, it will happen every third night NO MATTER what you do to try to stop it! As a late-night viewer, this is a real PITA as far as I'm concerned, and it's been this way for years now.