U344 has reuined my H3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U344 has reuined my H3

avjohnnie
Character Actor
Though it took a few days, because of U344 I can now only, and unreliably, watch live TV - That's it. Everything else the H3 used to be able to do has been destroyed by U344.

Does anyone here happen to know how long it will be until the function/feature destroying U344 is replaced?
16 Replies

Re: U344 has reuined my H3

DISH Employee
What are the tings you used to be able to do on the H3 that you cannot anymore? When you have reset the H3, has it allowed you to do the things you use to be able to do?

stevenmac1956
Costume Designer
Also read not recording

avjohnnie
Character Actor
Mike H. wrote:
What are the tings you used to be able to do on the H3 that you cannot anymore? When you have reset the H3, has it allowed you to do the things you use to be able to do?

Hi Mike,

Below is my morning's post over on the SatelliteGuys Hopper/Joey forum (in response to another affected H3 user's posting):
[url:ct2jvyzn]http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/h3-344-update.367729/[/url:ct2jvyzn]

"[i:ct2jvyzn][b:ct2jvyzn]srheug said:[/b:ct2jvyzn] ↑

I received U344 on 2/23. I've been lucky in the past with updates, never any big issues. This update is the worst update I have ever received from Dish. I have tried a reset, unplugged, everything I can think of but I have unbearable slow speed at everything. Guide is slow. Rev/Fwd is slow. Sound drop outs. Black screens. Recordings in PT broke up into multiple pieces, some only 1 min long. One hour long show was in 7 pieces. The first hour of PT didn't even record. All timers disappeared. Tried to restore from remote and restore locked up. Had power off to restart the Hopper. Tried a restore again, this time it worked. I have never seen anything like this before. The system is almost unusable. Joey2 is working worse than my H3.
[/i:ct2jvyzn]

You're not alone... I'm now aware of 3 Hopper3/4KJoey installations (including my own) having the same issues you've mentioned after receiving U344. I've been in extensive contact with Level-2 support at Dish and they are very much aware (and very much apologetic) about these problems. In their words - U344 is proving itself very unstable and in some cases outright destructive.

I too have seen the chopped-up recordings issue caused by U344 - that was a few days ago - but the problem will get worse... For example, today I lost the ability to create new timers of any type. Trying to do so yields the 1281 (Unable to create) message box, then shortly after you get the famous full black screen. Video comes back about a minute later. At this point if you go into DVR/Timers you'll see that no previous existing timers show and the Schedule page is also void. If the Hopper is left in this state none of the previously existing timers will function - the only way to get them back is to do a Power-Cord reset of the Hopper3.

And there's plenty of other functions & things that U344 eventually breaks on the Hopper3 as well - not right away - not all at once... You'll see... Once the anomaly's really get going on your Hopper3 (and they will,) I suggest contacting a Level-2 Dish CSR A.S.A.P. They know all about it. They tell me you could lose all functionality and a "fix" could be as much as 2 to 3 weeks away..."

Seems you guys have a slow-motion train wreck currently in progress on the H3 updates. The last several updates have been "Glitch riddled", but U344 is truly disastrous. I'd (perhaps) go as far as to say, deliberately sabotaged. And considering its continued devolvements over the past several days of use, maybe even malware infected...

Thanks for the quick response,
Jon

stevenmac1956
Costume Designer
Haven't used Guide since this morning and channel has been on about 3 hrs without problems.

Don't use Guide

Create no new timers

avjohnnie
Character Actor
stevenmac1956 wrote:
Haven't used Guide since this morning and channel has been on about 3 hrs without problems.

Don't use Guide

Create no new timers

Agreed - So long as you only watch live TV, changing channels only with the Channel UP/DN buttons or by direct number input, and stay clear of every other H3 feature/function, it seems to remain stable. Vary from that limited use in any way only at your potential peril.

FWIW, I'm following the suggestion of the last two CSRs (level-2s) that I spoke with, by backing up all my recorded content (currently on the internal HD) to external HDs. This is because they feel that the current failures are very likely to worsen. And if they do, then at some point the corruption could easily compromise the internal HD's recorded content (assuming that hasn't already happened).

Thanks for the response - and best of luck...

Avonjimmy
Costume Designer
I don't have U344 yet, but inability to resist! Since they don't tell you what was intended to fix or inability to stop the download, we are all doomed!!!!
Don't the wonder lings test anything? Seems a blot on Customer Service or Technical Support!!!

alokep
Camera Crew
I have U344 w H3 and one J4K. I'm not seeing these issues.

I'm not sh**ting on your point or denying that you (and others) are having these problems. Just that it is not universal.

FWIW, I'm not even sure what the problems you are experiencing in using the Guide or Timers .. Lockups? reboots? skipping?

Edit: I see details in the SatelliteGuys post you linked to. Readers here should visit that thread....

JSracer
Audio Engineer
Avonjimmy wrote:
I don't have U344 yet, but inability to resist! Since they don't tell you what was intended to fix or inability to stop the download, we are all doomed!!!!
Don't the wonder lings test anything? Seems a blot on Customer Service or Technical Support!!!

relax, 334 since day 1, no issues here either.
doesn't help the people with issues, but not everyone has them.

maybe try a reset to factory, partial reset, or master reset.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
Went to bed last night with U341 on my H3 - woke up to U344 this morning... now I am unable to create new recordings in any manner from the Guide. This is a real pain! It's one of the main/basic functions of the darn thing. Without that ability I'm just watching TV - whatever happens to be on (or previously created recordings).

On top of that, some have suggested a "Factory Reset"?? I can't even do that!! I select the icon, and it just sits there looking at me. Eventually it times out and goes back to whatever I was watching.

Many windows/screens no longer have the appropriate icons, but just a black square with a red "DISH" in the center? And when listing "episodes", the names/titles are now blank. "Airing Date" is there, but no name.

It seems like I spent this money for a reason, but I can't remember what that was........