Trying to Transfer recordings from Hopper w/Sling to Hopper3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Transfer recordings from Hopper w/Sling to Hopper3

LEHinUT
Extra
Just upgraded Hopper with Sling to Hopper 3. I was assured by the local Dish Installing company that I could transfer all my recordings. I am in the process of transfer using Ethernet cable between the two units. The Hopper with Sling said It was at 43% of capacity when I started. Used the Home>Settings>Diagnostics>Tools>Restore Recordings on the Hopper 3 as instructed on Dish website. I am now at 51 hours. The activity lights on the Ethernet connections are blinking away, indicating data should be transferring. The Hopper 3 final window upon starting says you can select the "Watch TV" button and transfer will notify you when complete, but upper part of window said "Time to transfer: 0 days", and there is no evidence of any progress (just black line with no change) in the window, and at the bottom of the text it says "0 of 0 events transferred". How long should this process normally take??
15 Replies

Re: Trying to Transfer recordings from Hopper w/Sling to Hop

peggyrh
Associate Producer
It's been reported to be extremely slow when using ethernet, much better to transfer to EHD & just watch from EHD itself, no reason to transfer back to H3 unless you want to use Dish Anwhere to watch.

If your Hopper w/Sling still has old interface it wont work with ethernet (you need to update software first), might be why it isn't transferring.

LEHinUT
Extra
This is quite frustrating! The Hopper with Sling is off the account and replaced by Hopper 3, which means I cannot transfer to EHD (Get message this receiver is not active, cannot access EHD). Calling Tech support, asking for temporary activation for transfer = "cannot be activated, only one Hopper allowed on an account". If there is an interface problem, I was not told of that, did not know I needed to upgrade interface, and now cannot, since unit is not active and not connected.
How do I know if interfaces are different?

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I'd ask for the Hopper with Sling to be reactivated. Means you'll have to take the other off line. While the Hopper w Sling is active, get the videos transferred to the EHD first. Make sure you have a big enough drive. 2TB is the max size. When the files are fully transferred, call it and have the new hopper re-activated and once it's set up, then transfer the files from the EHD to the new Hopper.

Someone should have mentioned this before you took the original Hopper off line. :?

LEHinUT
Extra
I tried that two days ago. Spent 45 minutes on the phone with highly accented Dish Tech, finally asking to reactivate the old Hopper, and deactivate the new one until I can transfer to EHD, and what I got was "I am soo sorry sir, but there is nothing we can do."
I will call the local installer Monday and see if they can make that happen. Thanks for your input.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
try contacting one of the reps here (names in green, I think I saw Israel online earlier) by PM, they are always MUCH more knowledgeable & helpful than using the normal phone line rep - if anyone can fix your issue they can.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Ya, try the rep or one of the GREEN moderators on here. They should have more immediate help and response for you.

longtimecust1995
Camera Crew
Don't upgrade your hopper w/sling to the new interface, unless you're getting rid of it after you transfer the recordings. There are several problems with the new interface that haven't been fixed yet (timers not working properly, recording problems, home media problems, search feature problems, etc.) There have been many posts in the forum concerning problems with the the new interface. They have a patch fix date of 5/17 for some of these issues but there's no guarantee the patch will be successful.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
That's what he's doing, replacing HWS with H3 - he got bad info about transferring programs.

BTW, my neighbor upgraded his software a few weeks ago & hasn't had any issues - but he doesn't use the home media feature, many people don't. He's happy with it.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I'm happy with the recent update 4/17. I don't use Home Media though so I can't confirm there. Netflix and all other items are working well for me. ;)