cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring shows to external hard drive

KLSGrem
Character Actor
We are loving our DISH so far.
We have the Hopper 3 and have added an external hard drive. I know how to transfer programs to the external drive; but is there a way to get them to transfer automatically, or can you change the software to give us the option to record to an external hard drive?
My husband is always asking me if I want to keep shows I have recorded, when he goes through to delete the prime time stuff we don't want. It would be nice if there was an option to move or record automatically to the external drive so we don't have to do this once a week. He might not ask next time...
Tags (1)
2 Replies

Re: Transferring shows to external hard drive

peggyrh
Associate Producer
There has never been a way to do it automatically, it's only manual, & there is no option to record direct to EHD. Primetime shows can be set to delete anywhere from 2-8 days (by themselves) so you don't need to delete manually. If you set a standard ("save series") timer for PTAT programs they will automatically be saved till you delete. I have several series from this fall that have all the episodes saved because I haven't watched them yet, I usually catch up during the holidays when re-runs are on. There's plenty of room on the Hopper3, I rarely use my EHD for much anymore.

Re: Transferring shows to external hard drive

KLSGrem
Character Actor
I figured that might be the case, peggyrh. I was just hoping I was missing something.
The only thing on the external hd right now is the show I like to watch. Hubby doesn't like it; but he has never watched it.
I don't think our Hopper has ever gotten over 40%. Hubby doesn't like it to get too full. It is definitely better than what we had with directv.
I will just have to be quick and transfer my show before hubby *accidentally* deletes it. :)