Transferring recorded shows from old external drive to new drive

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring recorded shows from old external drive to new drive

dannys22
Extra

Is there a way to transfer my recorded shows from my 500Mb external drive to a new 1Tb drive? The old drive is getting old and I don't want to lose my recordings.

Thanks

Danny

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Transferring recorded shows from old external drive to new drive

Chadt4141
Casting Director
You would need to transfer to the internal drive, and then you can transfer to the new EHD.
6 Replies

Chadt4141
Casting Director
You would need to transfer to the internal drive, and then you can transfer to the new EHD.

dannys22
Extra

I thought that's what it required, but I decided to ask anyways.

THANKS

Danny

gdisarray
Audio Engineer

You can also use the software that comes with most drives to "clone" the old drive to the new drive with your PC.  It will make an image on the new drive and should also expand it to use all of the space on the new drive.  A whole lot faster.  Be sure to clone.  Copying from drive to drive won't work.

RobertG
Extra

To clone my EHD to a new EHD, do I need to attach the new drive to Hopper to get it formatted before I clone, or will the cloning process take care of that?   I want to make sure the old EHD data is not deleted or otherwise changed.  

Any recommendation on cloning software?  I've used Macrium Reflect for cloning Windows images, but someone said that Acronis was better for handing non-Windows EHDs.

cnangel1997
Camera Crew

how do you do that, transferring to an internal drive?

DISH Employee

The cloning option may work but isn't officially supported by DISH. The method I would recommend is manually moving the recordings from the external drive to the internal drive and then transfer from the internal to the new external drive. You can see the process for transferring your recordings receiver at this link: https://www.mydish.com/support/products/hopper/how-to/manage/transfer-recordings