TV2 remote works only sporadically

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV2 remote works only sporadically

442jay
Character Actor
Had this on both the old box and the new one I just got.
Remote works for a small window of time, then won't for a good 20 seconds, then the window opens again and will work, but only for a matter of seconds then dead again. Issue has always been around, hoped new box would fix. When the 'window is closed', I can walk right up to the box/antenna and it still won't work. Sat light lights up nicely while I am pushing buttons. New box is even worse as the window of time got shorter and eventually wouldn't work at all; I couldn't turn the blue TV2 off for a while but eventually could. That's when I put a new pack of batteries in just to make sure.

-New batteries, reset box, re-did remote set-up, antenna on tight, adjusted and in clear view, etc.
-I have one box that controls both tv's. Had this set up for years and changed nothing during that time and unit definitely works, just with this 'window of time' problem.
Tags (2)
8 Replies

Re: TV2 remote works only sporadically

What is this receiver and remote model? What is the secondary remote address in system info?
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

442jay
Character Actor
VIP222K is on the front of the box. 21.1 IR/UHF on the remote for TV2

DISH Employee
442jay wrote:
VIP222K is on the front of the box. 21.1 IR/UHF on the remote for TV2

On the front of the receiver, there is a panel on the right side. Press in on that panel, then press the System Info button. This should pull up the System Info on the screen.

What do you have in the white box next to "Secondary Remote" address?

442jay
Character Actor
PamelaM:
It reads, " the number 2 in a white bubble, then the blue 2 inside-a-tv (TV2), UHF Pro Band B"

DISH Employee
Thank you for that information. Has the remote for the second TV always behaved this way, or did it start recently? If it was just recent, was there anything else in your home that changed at the same time (new TV, new electronics, etc)?

442jay
Character Actor
PhoenixM wrote:
Thank you for that information. Has the remote for the second TV always behaved this way, or did it start recently? If it was just recent, was there anything else in your home that changed at the same time (new TV, new electronics, etc)?

Always behaved this way. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. No new equipment (except the replacement VIP box), same stuff sitting on Tv stand for several years.

DISH Employee
442jay wrote:
Always behaved this way. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. No new equipment (except the replacement VIP box), same stuff sitting on Tv stand for several years.

If you take the TV2 remote into the room that has the box with it, does the receiver consistently respond to the remote?

You should be able to tell if the receiver is responding while in the room with the box because the blue TV2 light will blink, or if you have the System Info screen pulled up, the blue TV2 Box will blink when the receiver is responding to the TV2 remote.

442jay
Character Actor
When the box is non-responsive to the remote, I can walk right up to the antenna on the box, pushing buttons and it makes no difference. The Sat light lights up each time a button is pushed, but no response.
Haven't had Tv2 on for a few days, have it on now and it is functioning normally, for the moment. Will watch it tonight to see when it starts doing it again and report back. It is like this sometimes; works ok for a while, then the 'window of time' starts to open and close. When I last used Tv2, it was completely non-responsive for 20 minutes. Couldn't even turn the box (for Tv2) off! I guess it timed out overnight as the blue light was off in the morning.
Fresh batteries don't help.

Sounds like interference but makes no sense if I walk right up to the box/antenna and it still doesn't respond..