TV turns back on shortly after being powered off

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV turns back on shortly after being powered off

Cbridge
Extra
Since we moved our TVs turn back on after being powered off. We have the 54.0 remotes so the DVR goes into stand by mode and at the 5 min mark the tv turns back on. It didn’t do this prior to our move but we had issues with our remote set up with the two guys Dish sent to install everything. I finally have the remotes mostly working (the input buttons no longer work and dish says they may not be compatible even though we only moved a mile and they worked at the old house). I’m tired of the TVs just turning on. How do I make this stop?
14 Replies

Re: TV turns back on shortly after being powered off

d4g4m
Visual Engineer

Many years ago I had a same problem with at the time, an analog tube TV. I'd come home from shopping and TV was on. I would be sleeping at 4AM and hear voices and music and TV was on. TV was still in warrantee. Repair guy replaced the PCB that receives signal from the remote. Problem was fixed.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Turn HDMI CEC off on the TV and receiver.

Anaron
Character Actor

I have been having the same issue since Dish put in the new Hopper 3 system. Using the dish remote, I press the power button to turn off the tv. Screen goes black then sometime later the screen comes back on with a dish add for On Demand or some other thing they may be promoting.

"Turn HDMI CEC off on the TV and receiver" was suggested to me several months ago but has had no effect on the issue. The only way I for me to stop this was to plug the tvs (2 of them) into a power strip and use the power strip switch to turn off both tvs. I have talked to tech support on numerous occassions and let them remotely hook to my receiver where them attempt different "fixes" but it always ends with them telling me that this cannot happen! Something IS putting Dish promotions or Dish suggested tips or whatever on my tv screen/1

DISH Employee

Good afternoon, Anaron. When you press the power button on the 54.0 remote, does the TV go off and to a black screen or do you see the 5 minute countdown to standby screen? 

Anaron
Character Actor

TV goes off, screen goes black and the red light on the bottom right of the tv come on showing that tv has been turned off.

DISH Employee

On the screen that talks about the DISH Tips that you are seeing on your TV when you turn it off, does it have the "Press Select to watch TV" near the bottom of the screen?

Anaron
Character Actor

Most the time it does but it is primarily in the middle or end of the message

Anaron
Character Actor

Also, this never happens when the tv is turned off but occurs after the tv has been off for a while

DISH Employee

To confirm, is the HDMI-CEC off or on?