TCL Roku TV and Joey Issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCL Roku TV and Joey Issues

BryanTay
Extra
I recently purchase a TCL Roku TV and connected it to my Joey in a bedroom. Everything seemed to be working fine at first but i quickly ran into an issue. I'm not sure if the issue is with the TV or Dish. I'm suspecting it is with Dish.

Everything works as expected until I turn off the TV and it stays off for an extended period of time (say a 2-3 hours) when I turn the TV back on and try to watch Dish I'm presented with the Dish TV Activity screen. Most of the time it's says 0 of 0 receivers are in use. After a minute the screen will go black then refresh sometimes showing 1 of 3 receivers in use with the used receiver being the Joey i'm trying to watch. If I select that receiver and click watch, then i just get the black screen.

The weird thing is all the menus seem to work normally. For example I can go to the guide, go to the home or app screens and I can even change channels but I never get any picture or sound - just a black screen. The only way to get the picture back is to restart the Joey but once the TV has been off for a while the same issues start over.

I've tried switching out the Joey with one from another room but the same thing happens to both.

Please, it would be much appreciated if anyone has any idea what might be going on here!
Tags (3)
14 Replies

Re: TCL Roku TV and Joey Issues

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Did you make sure the cable to the wall is nice hand tight.

BryanTay
Extra
Yep... all is tight. thanks.

tommyy2
Visual Engineer
"I've tried switching out the Joey with one from another room but the same thing happens to both."

So do both Joeys work fine with the TV in the other room and neither works with the new TV?
Is the new TV 1080 or 4K, is the one in the other room 1080 or 4K?

BryanTay wrote:
I recently purchase a TCL Roku TV and connected it to my Joey in a bedroom. Everything seemed to be working fine at first but i quickly ran into an issue. I'm not sure if the issue is with the TV or Dish. I'm suspecting it is with Dish.

Everything works as expected until I turn off the TV and it stays off for an extended period of time (say a 2-3 hours) when I turn the TV back on and try to watch Dish I'm presented with the Dish TV Activity screen. Most of the time it's says 0 of 0 receivers are in use. After a minute the screen will go black then refresh sometimes showing 1 of 3 receivers in use with the used receiver being the Joey i'm trying to watch. If I select that receiver and click watch, then i just get the black screen.

The weird thing is all the menus seem to work normally. For example I can go to the guide, go to the home or app screens and I can even change channels but I never get any picture or sound - just a black screen. The only way to get the picture back is to restart the Joey but once the TV has been off for a while the same issues start over.

I've tried switching out the Joey with one from another room but the same thing happens to both.

Please, it would be much appreciated if anyone has any idea what might be going on here!

JustinGermino
Character Actor

I can confirm there is definitely some odd behavior with TCL Roku TV and Dish Network Receiver and Joey, I had been using the Dish Receiver/Joey fine for over a year, the day I setup my TCL Roku TV I started having issues with Dish Network Program Guide locking up, video just freezing or black screen and showing no signal sources.  

This happens after having TV off for long periods of time, but also if you are switched to the home screen and using the Roku portion for like Amazon Prime or Netflix and switch back to Dish Network Receiver, it will be frozen/hung and locked up.  

It only recovers after I reboot the Dish receiver after by power reset or pulling out and putting back in the activation card, no amount of messing with the TV recovers the Dish Receiver.  I didn't think it would be possible for an HDMI cable and source to have this sort of issue, it is plugged into the TV via HDMI yet somehow something messes up between Dish Receiver and the TCL Roku TV.    If it were the TV I would think powering the TV off and on and it would recover, but only rebooting the Dish Receiver or Joey recovers, and when I switch back to non-smart TV, no issues at all.  This also doesn't happen with my Samsung or Vizio Smart TV, only the TCL Roku TV.

Wondering if Dish has more information on this?

DISH Employee

Hello, JustineGermino. This is definitely an odd issue to say the least. It is very possible the TCL TVs firmware does not work well with ours. Although I am not showing that this something that we're aware of. I would definitely like to get more information about the issue to see what we can do to get it working like normal. Is this happening on a Joey, Super Joey, or Wireless Joey? When it locks up, if you go to another Joey or the Hopper, is it frozen too? 

JustinGermino
Character Actor

Sorry about the delay my wife just rebooted last few times, so I finally captured more data.

When this occurs the Joey and Main Dish box are out, I looked at menu and it says 0 out of 0 tuners in use.  It shows no live streams at all, all DVR recording (if it was supposed to) doesn't happen, like it just ceases to exist until I reboot the box.

I called support asking them to send me a new Dish Receiver as it is 4 years old, and it could be the Dish receiver just crapping out randomly and a coincidence but they won't send me a replacement and want to make me walk through support while on the phone next time it happens, but it often happens late at night, and there is nothing that can be done with GUI on remote, it just fails every check, every diag and no errors, I don't want to waste my time talking through this again with support just to get a replacement.

Here you can see the state the dish is at when it happens https://imgur.com/a/Eq4mC1y note, it never comes back with anything diagnostic spins forever, no guide shows up, no tuners, nothing but black screen or I can see settings menu, but until I reboot nothing comes back.

DISH Employee

JustinGermino, I know that going through the troubleshooting steps can seem redundant, but we want to make sure that we diagnose the issue as it is happening. We can gather the information for a better idea but to be sure we come to a proper resolution we need to troubleshoot while it is going on. 

When this happens, are you able to go to another receiver in the home and use it or does it display an error message/TV Activity Screen? 

JustinGermino
Character Actor

The Joey is in the same state, both cannot see video, both show 0/0 tuners in use, both show the guide but display no video when trying to change channels. It looks like it changes channels, but no video, no signal.  When the Dish Box has this issue, the Joey also is in the same state.  I need a replacement receiver, I am now finding this is happening 6x per day even when I never change inputs and use the TCL TV to change to other things, I think it was coincidence now and my receiver is just failing.

DISH Employee

JustinGermino, May you please send me a Private Message with the phone number on the account and the 4 digit security PIN.