Support for external hard drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for external hard drives

Scarlyt
Character Actor

Can anyone (preferably someone from Dish) explain to all of us why nothing has been done about the fact that the only external hard drives that are supported are WD 2TB My Book drives when they aren't made or sold anymore?  Why has nothing been done about this when they knew in plenty of time before the supply ran out that 2TB external hard drives with their own power supplies were disappearing and unable to be purchased anywhere?  Dish prides itself on being up with the times in technology and yet we customers now find ourselves in a situation where we can't save anything anymore because the only drives that are supported don't exist.  I've been asking about this for a couple years now since the supply started disappearing and WD stopped making anything smaller than a 4TB (those will be going away soon too).  Why can't something be done about this?  A lot of customers will soon be looking elsewhere to other companies that do support larger hard drives, and leaving Dish for this reason.  You can be current with technology when only supporting such out of date tech that it basically doesn't exist anymore.

Out of desperation I bought a WD 2TB passport that arrived today (turned out it's usb powered when I thought it had it's own supply), and I hooked it up and it was recognized and formatted.  I was able to transfer some stuff to it and look back at it.  I then started transferring more to it and after a while I got an error message saying that a file had been corrupted and all further transferring had been ceased.  After that I got a message saying I connected an unsupported device.  What the hell is going on?  Why would it recognize it and work for a while only to end the process and destroy all use of the hard drive that was only a few hours old?  If it isn't supposed to recognize those kinds of hard drives then why doesn't it say so from the start rather than letting us use them for a short time before killing it?  This situation has me highly ticked off, not only at the waste of a brand spanking new $70 hard drive that's now a paperweight, but at the fact that we can't save any recording anymore and no one is doing anything about the situation.  Customer service has highly failed and is continuing to fail.  Dish doesn't seem to care about us customers anymore.  Something needs to be done about this.

10 Replies

Re: Support for external hard drives

Chadt4141
Casting Director
You can’t get mad at losing your recordings or loss of use with an eHD when you knew ahead of time it is unsupported. Unsupported doesn’t mean that it won’t work, just that it will not work consistently(hence why they won’t support it).

You can connect a powered hub to the hard drive and use that as a work around. It’s not just WD EHDs, but any brand that matches the specifications.

DISH Employee

We appreciate the time you've taken to give us your feedback, Scarlyt! 

You can view the requirements as well as purchase a compatible Western Digital hard drive on MyDish.com. If there are any changes to the hard drives we support, the specifications will be updated on that page.

redlite
Costume Designer

I just bought 2 Western Digital 2TB external hard drives. They were reconditioned and $49.95 each on sale. Formatted to my DVR no problem. They come with a 30 day warranty so I would format them right away to make sure they are ok. These are the ones that Dish recommends.

Scarlyt
Character Actor

I've looked into purchasing a seriously overpriced hard drive from you, and despite it being on that page you linked, they are NOT available.  I'm getting so sick of this and having people lying to us about this and having us look at pages that have been exactly the same with the exact same information for at least a decade.  Why are the new hoppers still confined to the same old hard drives that aren't being made anymore?  I've told people there to talk to Western Digital, as I did, but apparently everyone is sticking their heads in the sand.  It's horrible that you tell people that they can buy one from you for $150 when not only can they not, but they used to be only $99 when they were still being made.  Western Digital told me when I called them that they stopped making them years ago and suggest we use larger drives.  I told them that we can't and that they need to get with Dish about this, but they said it's up to Dish to update their tech.  So why don't you?

Scarlyt
Character Actor

Yes, I can get mad that they don't support anything that is still made and that they don't tell us that it has to be a self-powered external hard drive.  All they tell us is that it has to be a 2TB or smaller WD My Book.  Those aren't made anymore.  In fact, I haven't found any external hard drives that aren't portable that are that small.  I have an old portable of another brand that's self-powered and it works just fine.  I had no reason to think others wouldn't work just fine as well.  I really don't appreciate your insulting me over having try things out of desperation and without proper informatoin because the supported single thing isn't available anymore.  This shows that Dish isn't paying attention to tech trends and needs to update their stuff to be useable.

Scarlyt
Character Actor

I have no idea how you were able to find them as they aren't in any tech store I've found or their web sites, or department stores (like walmart and target), or even from Western Digital.  And despite what the hard to find dish site says, there aren't any available from dish either.  When I called Western Digital about them, they said they discontinued them years ago and suggested that I upgrade to larger drives.  When I explained to them that I wish I could but was limited by what Dish says is supported, they said to get Dish to update their tech and support.  I asked them if they could contact Dish and tell them that directly and they said Dish would have to contact them.  You're very lucky that you found any as I've been searching for 2 years and haven't found any.  I did find a couple on eBay once, but it was a total scam.  They sent me used broken ones, wouldn't take them back and wouldn't refund my money.  Typical for eBay.

redlite
Costume Designer
I found them in the Western Digital store and ordered end of May.

redlite
Costume Designer

Chadt4141
Casting Director
You can call Dish and order them. Or PM one of the reps on this page and order them.