Support for external hard drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Support for external hard drives

redlite
Audio Engineer
Sorry, Chad, haven't been able to order hard drives from Dish for a couple of years. And yes, I tried.

crossfam1
Extra

just ordered from WD. What do I do when I receive it. Hooking up to 722k. If this works, great.

DISH Employee

Crossfam1, you can use this link for information on how to connect your external hard drive to your VIP722K receiver: https://www.mydish.com/support/products/vip/how-to/setup/receiver-to-ehd

DonG
Extra

Chad - does this mean I can use one of the more modern hard drives that get their power via the USB cable if I use a powered hub? Would this work by plugging the nub into the Hopper 3 and could I have multiple hard drives plugged into the powered hub? I was looking at a hub that has switches for each port so individual hard drives could be turned off when not in use. Thanks.

@Chadt4141 wrote:
You can’t get mad at losing your recordings or loss of use with an eHD when you knew ahead of time it is unsupported. Unsupported doesn’t mean that it won’t work, just that it will not work consistently(hence why they won’t support it).

You can connect a powered hub to the hard drive and use that as a work around. It’s not just WD EHDs, but any brand that matches the specifications.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
In theory yes. The hard drive will plug into the hub, the hub is plugged into the AC power outlet. The USB from the EHD would go to the Hopper. Most hubs connect via SATA cable.

DonG
Extra

The USB hub I was looking at would connect to the Hopper 3 with a USB cable - I was planning on using the USB 3 port on the Hopper 3. Would that still function?

I assume the 2 TB limit per HD would still apply? 

I had heard some word that 3 TB HDs would work. Any truth to that?

Thanks

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Only 2 TB will be able to be used. It only partitions up to 2 TB, so the extra TB would be wasted if it even works.

Unfortunately, the only answer I could give you on if that will or will not work, is try it and report back to us. I couldn’t give you an honest answer further than that.
Highlighted

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

Guys...

I posted this (below in red) to another thread  https://communities.dish.com/t5/At-Home/Hopper-Will-Not-Recognize-External-Hard-Drive/td-p/5288/page......give it a try.

I'm using two of the WD 2TB My Book drives (a year ago I purchased a certified recondidtioned one, still available from Amazon) which had been recommended by Dish although in a PM I received from a Dish Tech and he said... 

"This is the exact model external hard drive I use on one of my testing Hoppers if you are curious:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4XH586/ref=twister_B07454F4JH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Here's another PM I received from the same Tech about him using that non-externally powered drive...

"Previously we did require an externally powered EHD, but not anymore.  The limit is still 2tb, to be honest, this is a software restriction.  You can use a 5tb drive for example if you want, but when it gets reformatted for Dish, it will be reformatted to 2tb.  So there is just no reason to use larger than 2tb. 

As far as recomendations, honestly any modern EHD should work.  As long as it is a single platter drive and USB 2.0 compliant, which almost all modern EHD's meet both those requirements."

Hope this helps

Paul