Strange Happenings Channel changing on its own

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Happenings Channel changing on its own

BrianP58
Audio Engineer
First time thought this was a fluke of some sorts. Now it's happened 2 more times. Just out the blue the channel changes. All three times to the same local channel at random times. There are no timers of any kind setup for this channel. Any thoughts?
Tags (2)
11 Replies

Re: Strange Happenings Channel changing on its own

RickObe
Visual Engineer
1) You got a new remote. Is the old remote still around and a button getting pressed inadvertently?

2) You got a voice remote. Is it picking up a voice command somehow?

BrianP58
Audio Engineer
No the first two times this happened were prior to us getting the new remote. When this happened a third time, last evening, I was in a different room and both remotes were sitting on a table untouched.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
BrianP58 wrote:
No the first two times this happened were prior to us getting the new remote. When this happened a third time, last evening, I was in a different room and both remotes were sitting on a table untouched.

Only other thing I can think of is to do a hard reboot (unplug the Hopper for 30 seconds) and see if that stops it happening again.

BrianP58
Audio Engineer
Did that after the second time. Weird thing it's happened around the same time of day and goes to the same channel. Must be haunted.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
What receiver do you have? I know you posted in the Bopper Joey forum.... but just want to verify.

stile99
Cinematographer
Well, I'm unclear if it is random times or around the same time of day now, but assuming the latter it might be part of the 'smart channel' setting, though I thought that was only at power on. Dish thinks they can predict what channel you want based on the time of day. Example, if every Monday at 3pm you tuned to channel 135, then after a couple weeks it's going to think (rightly or wrongly) that based on this pattern, today is Monday, it is now 3pm, you probably want channel 135.

BrianP58
Audio Engineer
Chadt4141 wrote:
What receiver do you have? I know you posted in the Bopper Joey forum.... but just want to verify.

Hopper with sling

BrianP58
Audio Engineer
stile99 wrote:
Well, I'm unclear if it is random times or around the same time of day now, but assuming the latter it might be part of the 'smart channel' setting, though I thought that was only at power on. Dish thinks they can predict what channel you want based on the time of day. Example, if every Monday at 3pm you tuned to channel 135, then after a couple weeks it's going to think (rightly or wrongly) that based on this pattern, today is Monday, it is now 3pm, you probably want channel 135.

That is only supposed to work when you first turn the receiver on. Yesterday in the middle of watching a hockey game and it just switches to another channel.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
BrianP58 wrote:
stile99 wrote:

That is only supposed to work when you first turn the receiver on. Yesterday in the middle of watching a hockey game and it just switches to another channel.

Are there any other remotes paired, in the system info?