Sony STR-DN840/Dish 722 reboots

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony STR-DN840/Dish 722 reboots

jyeman
Character Actor
I have a Sony STR-DN840 av receiver/amp connected to the Dish receiver by HDMI. I have a Sumsung TV that is connected to the Sony amp via HDMI. I've had 3 VIP 622's and now a VIP 722 (yes, plugged directly into the wall outlet - no surge protector) that reboot and have to acquire the satellite signal intermittently - mostly when I first turn the system on or off and particularly when it is recording. The Dish receiver will occasionally freeze and reboot while watching tv. I've seen some posts in this forum and Sony's forum about Sony TV's sending an electrical impulse down the HDMI which is what is causing the Dish receiver to reboot. Because of this, I am suspecting the Sony amp, but not sure. I swapped out the HDMI cable with the Dish provided one, but that did not solve the problem.

The Sony forum post suggested a 722K but I've had no luck getting one from support, they say it depends on what is in the warehouse.

This is really frustrating. Anyone have any ideas for a solution aside from purchasing a different amp?

TIA
5 Replies

Re: Sony STR-DN840/Dish 722 reboots

This is a known issue with 722s that are connected with HDMI. This is the workaround we have:

Change HDMI input and/or cable and update TV firmware
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

jyeman
Character Actor
It's the Sony receiver. I have the 722 plugged directly to the TV via HDMI and the 722 has not rebooted.

gym33019
Extra
I am having the same problem with my new Sony 4K XBR65X850C and the Dish VIP722 Receiver. Every time the Tv and Receiver are powered on, the Dish Receiver shuts down and takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to come back. I read the fix was to get the VIP722K on Sony's site, but I have had no luck getting it either. Dish sent me a replacement VIP722 and it had the same issue. On the second try, I thought I had convinced the rep to send the 722K, but I received the 2nd replacement yesterday and it was the same 722 (Not the K model). I am not bothering to try this one again.

After round 3 with a dish customer service rep. The recommendation was for me to upgrade to the Hopper receiver, which costs $150 upfront, $15 extra per month, and a 2 year contract. I explained that I would accept the monthly increase, but not the $150 initial fee or the 2 year contract (as I do not want to be stuck in contract if this issue cannot be resolved). They agreed to waive the $150, but wouldnt do it without the contract. So at this point, I am likely switching Service Providers, cause there doesnt seem to be any reasonable concern from the dish.

jyeman
Character Actor
I checked to see if there was a software update for the Sony receiver, but mine was at the latest version.
I switched the Dish input from the Sat/Cable HDMI port to the Video port and so far no reboots in the last two days. I even turned it off and back on while it was recording which would usually result in a reboot.

Fingers crossed that the issue is resolved.

[b:2hmoqav9]But hey, Dish support, if you promise us customers that you are going to send a 722k, it would be a very nice gesture to actually send the promised unit.[/b:2hmoqav9]

jyeman
Character Actor
Well, still no resolution. The 722 rebooted 3 times in the last two days despite being plugged into a different HDMI port - twice while powering on and once while watching TV. Very frustrating. I talked to support again and was told engineering was working on the problem. I'd like to believe that, but I have my doubts there will be a fix any time soon.