Software update=downgrade in perf., reliability, & quality!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software update=downgrade in perf., reliability, & quality!

TopMJW
Character Actor
I've been a Dish customer for 6-7 years. Approx. 6 months ago or so Dish "upgraded" the software on my Hopper with Sling system and since then the performance and functionality of the entire system has been SERIOUSLY degraded. I've called customer service multiple times to find out what can be done and only get scripted troubleshooting...which never fixes the issues. The functionality of the DVR went from great multi-speed slow fwd and reverse to jerky barely functioning single speed (if/when it works at all). Most of the time slow reverse doesn't work at all. Every button press remote command takes anywhere from 3-8 seconds to do anything on my system...it is horrible and was NOT like this before the software "upgrade". Multiple times per week turning on the system will result in a black screen, as often as not going to the 'NetFlix' channel hangs the system...unplugging joey and hopper resets everything in both cases and gets the system working most of the time...this never happened before. Tech support has me turn my box on and off, or sends it a signal...nothing works and I'm left w/ same VERY nasty slow dysfunctional system. As much as I LOVED my Dish for the previous many years, I HATE it more now. As much as I HATED Comcast before moving to Dish, I'll probably move back to Comcast or try out Direct TV and pay more b/c Dish just really seems to not care at all about the issues that I'm having. Very frustrated about this...am I the only customer who has seen crappy functionality since the big system software "upgrade" this year? Dish customer service tells me that they are not receiving complaints about this...so I asked them if my hardware was bad, and the last thing they told me when I called is that they send out frequent updates and that my issues would "probably be fixed by one of these updates". I read that as a brush off.
4 Replies

Re: Software update=downgrade in perf., reliability, & quali

Chadt41411
Casting Director
You have an old receiver that needs hardware updated. The Hopper3 came out nearly 2 years ago, and has had the UI the entire time. Plus it comes with many more features, including 16 tuners. The processor on the older hoppers are not able to keep up as well with the new software. It makes sense as they are almost 6 years old now, a lifetime for electronics. You can go to another service, but ultimately you’ll likely pay more. May be less in short term, but more in long term. I would strongly encourage an upgrade to an H3 and see if you qualify for the 2 year price lock for existing customers. FYI, DTVs top receiver is about half as powerful and about half as functional as the H3. You can google their HR54

stevelong
Extra
ME TOO but differently.
I'm a retired PC geek, I know a little of programming.
DISH subscriber for ? 5 years or so, been happy until now.
Last wed. Jan 10, 2018 at 1:45am, my Hopper got a software update.....and a new UI.
Fine, but....
NOW I lost my "themes" search, I used to be able to hit THEMES button on remote, look for movies, ALL MOVIES, or narrow it down by NOW PLAYING, or NEXT playing, or future movies........and get a grouping of - all WESTERNS, or ALL WAR movies, it was selected by GENRE........I could also search ALL, which included my recorded movies and those in the GUIDE........
I used it HEAVILY, and it's GONE......along with some slow-mo & FF & REW features, as I used to have 2 speeds slow-motion for both rew & play, NOW ONE SPEED both, and I used to have 4, 15, 60 and 300, for speeds for both FF & REW, now the 4 is goners as well.
I USED the "themes" weekly to gather a list of WESTERN movies to review, record, and keep back in the DVR, for future viewing.
THESE are ALL features I used heavily, and it's going to be difficult for me to stay with DISH.
I'm shopping, unless these features are all restored in updates in the next few months.
I complained on the phone to a tech in Phoenix, and I was told they will work on writing it back into the code, it might take 48 hours to 2 weeks, guessing I WILL BE WATCHING for it to change.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
It's not going to change back, it's been in use on other Hoppers for 2 years, the forum has many, many posts about it. (Also, posting same thing more than once is against forum policy and will not make any difference).

Re: Software update=downgrade in perf., reliability, & quality!

Rvarisco
Extra
I have same problem about to go to Xfinity!!!