Snap/Pop when skipping forward

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snap/Pop when skipping forward

Pir8guy
Extra
I have a brand new LG OLED TV and a Polk Audio soundbar.
The two are connected by optical wire.
I have a very annoying electrical pop/snap sound when I skip forward or backward. It doesn't happen every time but probably 50% of the time.
I've tried to troubleshoot and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the TV (has happened on 2 different TVs), the soundbar, or the wire (I switched it out for another one). That leaves the DVR.
Does anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?
10 Replies

Re: Snap/Pop when skipping forward

Have you tried bypassing the soundbar and connecting the receiver straight to the TV? New HDMI cable(s)? Different input on the TV? What is your receiver model?
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

Pir8guy
Extra
I am currently not using a receiver. It is HDMI straight from Hopper to TV, and optical from TV to sound bar.

Have you tried new HDMI cable(s)?
Different input on the TV?
What model of Hopper do you have?
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

scotar
Audio Engineer
For starters run the optical from the DVR directly to the sound bar. No reason to run it to the TV then from TV to sound bar.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
If you have a streaming box connected to the TV you want the sound bar connected to the TV itself (rather than the Dish box) so it works with both inputs. If you only use Dish then you can connect the soundbar to the receiver.

Pir8guy
Extra
I had seen in another message board (I believe it related to Tivo) a similar problem to mine.
Someone suggested go into the audio settings and set the TV to PCM. Not sure what that is exactly, but I did try it (it took a while to find), and it worked like a champ and eliminated the pop. Still evaluating if it did or did not have a detrimental effect on the sound, but first impression is no, not really.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
many soundbars recommend you use PCM (my Vizio does), probably the issue.

tommyy2
Audio Engineer
many soundbars recommend you use PCM
does PCM sound support 5.1 or is it only stereo?

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
[url:1afpjbs3]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation[/url:1afpjbs3]