Size Limits on EHD

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Size Limits on EHD

josestude
Camera Crew

I would like to buy an extra EHD for my 722 DVR box - and I know that the Dish website state that the maximum size for the EHD is 2 TB.  However - you cannot find EHD that small any longer very easy - on Amazon they seem to start at 3 or 4 TB.

I really cannot believe that even on a Hopper the maximum is 2 TB - the industry is well beyond that size and it is going to start getting costly to purchase drives that are outdated.

Can you use a 3 TB drive - and the Dish 722 will just use up to 2 TB of the drive?  Has anyone tried using a larger drive than 2 TB ??

3 Replies

Re: Size Limits on EHD

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
You may be able to get a larger drive to work, and there have been people that have been successful with that. Keep in mind, the limit is what Dish supports so a larger drive would be unsupported by Dish.

josestude
Camera Crew

Thanks for your reply...sounds promising.

I would like to hear from someone if possible a little more definitive than "may be able to" before I go out and spend the cash.  Anyone with personal experience confirming this?  Or documentation from Dish somewhere?

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
The documentation from Dish will say what I said. It is not supported. When something is not supported, it doesn’t mean it won’t work. It just means that in product testing, it could not be counted on to work reliably, so they do not encourage you to go above at all. There are several reports on the satellite guys website of people with a larger drive, myself included, that work, albeit not consistently enough to recommend. Some will have one that works for years, and others that do not work and some that work for a period of time and just stop. That is the exact reason it is not supported, as it’s not reliable enough to get a good enough answer.