Signal loss and box reset issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal loss and box reset issues

cbrookhart
Camera Crew
I've had frequent complete signal loss over the past few months (code 31-12-45; complete signal loss). It doesn't matter if there is no weather in the area (I already know there is nothing obstructing the dish), I will get a complete signal loss when switching channels. This complete signal loss will last for about five minutes and then the signal will come back.

I'm also experiencing what I can only best describe as some sort of soft reset going on. Right at 7:59pm, I happened to change channels. I got a black screen in place of the picture, and then the tuner menu appeared on the screen indicating that 0 of 0 tuners were in use. The picture came back moments later, but only in the upper right corner. I still had a black screen in place of where the guide should be. I eventually got everything working again, but I've experienced this particular issue a few times.

I had a tech come out in February to address the 31-12-45 signal loss issue. They were literally in my home and outside checking out the dish for about five minutes. They determined there was nothing wrong, and the tech even indicated that they have experienced the signal loss issue with their own service at home.

Obviously, something is going on since I keep having signal loss issues in addition to the 'reset' issue. It would be nice to know what is causing these issues to happen, but I'm hesitant to have a tech come out especially since it's an added cost and there's no guarantee that the appointment will be any different from what it was last time.
5 Replies

Re: Signal loss and box reset issues

DISH Employee
cbrookhart wrote:
I've had frequent complete signal loss over the past few months (code 31-12-45; complete signal loss). It doesn't matter if there is no weather in the area (I already know there is nothing obstructing the dish), I will get a complete signal loss when switching channels. This complete signal loss will last for about five minutes and then the signal will come back.

I'm also experiencing what I can only best describe as some sort of soft reset going on. Right at 7:59pm, I happened to change channels. I got a black screen in place of the picture, and then the tuner menu appeared on the screen indicating that 0 of 0 tuners were in use. The picture came back moments later, but only in the upper right corner. I still had a black screen in place of where the guide should be. I eventually got everything working again, but I've experienced this particular issue a few times.

I had a tech come out in February to address the 31-12-45 signal loss issue. They were literally in my home and outside checking out the dish for about five minutes. They determined there was nothing wrong, and the tech even indicated that they have experienced the signal loss issue with their own service at home.

Obviously, something is going on since I keep having signal loss issues in addition to the 'reset' issue. It would be nice to know what is causing these issues to happen, but I'm hesitant to have a tech come out especially since it's an added cost and there's no guarantee that the appointment will be any different from what it was last time.

If this is happening without severe weather we would like to troubleshoot with you. For further assistance, please send a PM with your phone number and PIN.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
If easily accessible, take a look at any exterior cable connectors. Take them apart and look for rust. Did the tech check the LNB that it is working properly? The PCB in the LNB might have a problem. Is it receiving a constant 19 volts?
Was a switch test done on the TV? On signal strength test, is the number near the yes/no video signal break? i.e on a 211k, signal below 25 is no video [lost signal] Dish may need re-aiming or LNB is bad.

cbrookhart
Camera Crew
The built in diagnostic test was run. The cables to the receiver were checked. The cables connecting the dish were checked. Beyond that, I don't know if the other suggestions were looked at with the last visit.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
My guess would be a bad cable in the line. Most likely not RG6, or cracked or crushed. Best practice at this point would be to replace ALL cabling in the line.

cbrookhart
Camera Crew
I'll see if the tech can do that when they come; at least that will make the appointment worthwhile financially since I have to pay for each tech visit.