Did you mean: 

Shut down at 3:50 EDT

stevenmac1956
Costume Designer
Split a recording in Half
A shutdown that happens at same time would be nice
Stop Shutdowns while recording
I try to plan around the shutdowns with recordings starting after 2AM
The only Internal shutdowns I have are the dish shutdowns!
18 Replies

Re: Shut down at 3:50 EDT

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
We watch TV late every nite - I'm usually up until at least 2AM. Every third night, without fail, at 1AM sharp, regardless of what is recording, and what I am watching, with absolutely NO warning, the Hopper shuts down and goes thru it's reboot-thing. Takes between 5 and 10 minutes - just enough to screw up recordings that were in progress and get me and the wife both really STEAMED!

Chadt41411
Casting Director
xfoneguy50 wrote:
We watch TV late every nite - I'm usually up until at least 2AM. Every third night, without fail, at 1AM sharp, regardless of what is recording, and what I am watching, with absolutely NO warning, the Hopper shuts down and goes thru it's reboot-thing. Takes between 5 and 10 minutes - just enough to screw up recordings that were in progress and get me and the wife both really STEAMED!

If it is unable to update over a 72 hour period by not being put in standby between 12-6 AM, it will force an update. This is by design.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
Chadt4141 wrote:
xfoneguy50 wrote:

If it is unable to update over a 72 hour period by not being put in standby between 12-6 AM, it will force an update. This is by design.

Yes and "by design" (apparently) means: without warning, without regard for what may be recording (and will end up being 2 pieces now) .... this is a ridiculous "design" and one that keeps pushing me....... it doesn't seem to matter to DISH what time(s) their subscribers are watching the programming they are paying big $$$ for.

mikejl46
Camera Crew
I guess I have been lucky, I have had the hopper 3 for maybe a month, been up late many times watching Tv since, and have not seen it shut down ones.

stevenmac1956
Costume Designer
Difference between shutdown and Guide download
without a guide download timers won't record

IamGMan
Camera Crew
I don't know if any of you pay attention to the TV Activity screen at or around this time but, the guide will update as long as there is an open tuner or usually after 10 mins of being powered off or after a front panel/power cord reset. Just throwing that out there....

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
IamGMan wrote:
I don't know if any of you pay attention to the TV Activity screen at or around this time but, the guide will update as long as there is an open tuner or usually after 10 mins of being powered off or after a front panel/power cord reset. Just throwing that out there....

I thought that the Guide Data updated in that manner previously, but I haven't noticed it lately. I guess it's working though, as my Guide always seems to be up to date. Doesn't help the darn without-warning shutdown though!

fivecents49
Extra
My Hopper shuts down every night around 1:30 a.m. for updates. Before it does, a screen popup appears asking if I want it to do so. If I choose, NO, it will try again about 1 hour later. I try not to schedule a program record during that time every night.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
fivecents49 wrote:
My Hopper shuts down every night around 1:30 a.m. for updates. Before it does, a screen popup appears asking if I want it to do so. If I choose, NO, it will try again about 1 hour later. I try not to schedule a program record during that time every night.

YES - and that is the way that my Hopper USED to work - sort of, anyway.... I don't believe that it was every night, but whatever...... pain though it is, at least I had [b:22rlhuml]some [/b:22rlhuml]kind of warning - and was able to defer until an in-progress recording finished. Now it just does it - screen goes dark while we sit and wait..... and wait ...... and ......

I still don't know if this is a software glitch or that the H3 is just bad.