Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Shut down at 3:50 EDT

Slave2Computers
Camera Crew
xfoneguy50 wrote:
Chadt4141 wrote:
xfoneguy50 wrote:
We watch TV late every nite - I'm usually up until at least 2AM. Every third night, without fail, at 1AM sharp, regardless of what is recording, and what I am watching, with absolutely NO warning, the Hopper shuts down and goes thru it's reboot-thing. Takes between 5 and 10 minutes - just enough to screw up recordings that were in progress and get me and the wife both really STEAMED!

If it is unable to update over a 72 hour period by not being put in standby between 12-6 AM, it will force an update. This is by design.

Yes and "by design" (apparently) means: without warning, without regard for what may be recording (and will end up being 2 pieces now) .... this is a ridiculous "design" and one that keeps pushing me....... it doesn't seem to matter to DISH what time(s) their subscribers are watching the programming they are paying big $$$ for.

I am with you! Their design needs evaluation. We have checked our timers and there IS available downtime. Yet it still shuts down on it's own. Sometimes in the middle of the day or during prime time in the evening.
The old interface used to display the screen popup asking if it is ok. The new interface couldn't be bothered with customer desires. It just shuts down without notice. A big FU to the customers.

To answer the other poster, no it isn't a glitch. The H3/new UI is just a bad design.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
I wish I could get a definitive (and "Official") answer to the question:

Are we, or are we NOT supposed to have some sort of warning BEFORE the TV screen goes black and this thing shuts down at 1AM?

Actually, I have more than one question that I would like answered:

Is the system supposed to shut down, regardless of whether or not there are recordings in progress?
And finally, should I be able to have the option of answering "no" and postponing the shutdown or not?

This is truly becoming a "game-changer" for me quickly as far as continuing my Dish service.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Anyone phone or chat contact DISH support to ask?

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
i tried - it was some time ago now, but I got no where - basically the "this is how it is supposed to work " answer.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
That's the way it's supposed to work on Hopper 1&2 on the old software, Hopper 3 should not be doing it - mine hasn't shown the nightly update since I got it a year ago (I'm up late every night).

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
peggyrh wrote:
That's the way it's supposed to work on Hopper 1&2 on the old software, Hopper 3 should not be doing it - mine hasn't shown the nightly update since I got it a year ago (I'm up late every night).

I remember that when I got mine (also about a year ago), I was so excited because it appeared that the darn intrusive update was gone - I wasn't being shut down or ending up with chopped recordings. But somewhere along the way, things changed and now I'm right back on "square 1" with this issue. Dang!

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Thought you had H3, makes no sense for it to be on yours when others don't have it. I'd be really upset too.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
I think we got our new H3s around the same time .....

I'm having enough weird issues that I think mine has likely gone bad but I can't seem to get that across to these people - i started a PM with DIRT a couple of weeks ago. I guess I might just have to insist.
Highlighted

BillK
Audio Engineer
I've had a H3 for a few months now and I've seen it shut down but never give me the option not to.

Strangely I've also had the experience when listening to SiriusXM that it didn't bother shutting down at all; I was doing some work around midnight and put on an SXM channel and when I finished it was 4:30 AM and I never lost audio.