Series timer recording not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Series timer recording not working

frugal
Character Actor

Have had a Hopper with Sling for 2-3 weeks now; have been on the phone to Technical Support multiple times; have followed instructions to program a series recording for Jeopardy from 7 - 7:30 pm on NBC, Mon. through Fri, new only; At first, it recorded some days but then missed others; I tried to intervene and start it recording manually when I saw the red recording light had not lit up; however, I could not do that since a message came up saying "it was being recorded" but in fact it was not.  Sometimes, I was able to go to the timer and delete it, and then go back and start the recording manually. However, this was not consistent; sometimes it would work and other times it did not.

I was able to schedule some other series programs that are weekly and that seems to be working most of the time, although I have found after the fact that some did not record and then checked to see if the program was repeated later, find it, and schedule that to record.

I am not impressed since we have missed some programs that were not repeated later and didn't know it until we went back to view them.

The Hopper is certainly not as advertised and does not function well - I'm disgusted and tired of calling tech support and wasting a lot of time and effort without finding any real answers to these problems.

4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Series timer recording not working

peggyrh
Casting Director

Hopper with Sling is not a new Hopper,  came out in 2012 (& was replaced in 2016 with the Hopper 3).  When I had mine it worked flawlessly (& I record almost everything I watch) so maybe yours is having issues & needs to be replaced?  Electronics aren't always perfect & sometimes software gets messed up after updates, only way to really know is to have a tech visit. 

You only have 3 tuners, is it possible they're all in use (overlaps at beginning/end of recordings can cause other  timers not to record)?  I've also found that occasionally the guide info is not correct (it's provided to Dish by another service) & sometimes shows aren't marked as new when they should be which can also keep a show from recording.  

frugal
Character Actor

Thanks for the comments; the Hopper with Sling is a manufacturer refurbished unit dated Aug. 2018, I bought 3 weeks ago; it came shrink wrapped and looks new. It is more than sufficient for our needs; I check the "TV activity" screen regularly and have never seen all 3 being used except once when a tuner had "guide update" or "software update".

I asked tech support about the recording overlap situation and was assured it shouldn't be a problem since the next program would be recorded by another tuner. Will check the Guide about whether program is listed as "New."  Tech support also suggested I could change the recording "priority" of the programs I'm having trouble with - which I did but not sure it's made much difference.

Have scheduled recordings on the same day they're to be recorded and so far, believe it is working.

However, just found out a program I recorded a week ago, last Sunday, has disappeared - it's not in Recordings or in Trash? I know it was there as I intended to watch it before the one being recorded tonight. It's a series on every Sunday evening on PBS; the next episode is being recorded tonight but now I'm missing the prior episode; I give up !

We disabled the automatic Prime Time recordings as we don't need them.

DISH Employee

Can you try resetting the receiver, frugal, to see if your recording comes back? To reset, unplug the Hopper with Sling for 10 seconds then plug it back in.

If you have any additional issues you can send me a Private Message and I can take a look at your account. You can view step-by-step instructions on how to send a PM here: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

frugal
Character Actor

Thanks much. I have used the Reset button as well as unplugging and plugging back in - didn't seem to change anything.

However, after I wrote about an episode of a series not being recorded but the following episode was recorded, I found the "missing" episode in an Episodes tab - not clear now how I got to that tab - must have been in DVR Recordings tab 1st.

Have watched channel 103 from time to time and learned some more tips there.

Will use the PM if more issues arise.  Still don't trust that series I have scheduled for recording will actually be recorded; disappointing and irritating when I learn later series was not recorded.