Seek timer curiosity

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seek timer curiosity

NYDutch
Audio Engineer
I was asked to help an RV'ing neighbor figure out how to set a seek timer on his H2 with the CUI for a big 4 network program where the channel number changes every time he changes his service address to get the locals at a new location. His wife asked that I use "Survivor: Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers" on CBS as the program, since she's a big fan. Setting up a channel specific timer works fine, but when I tried to set a seek timer using "Search" and selecting the title, attempting to set the timer resulted in a "Failed to create... Try later..." error message. Repeated attempts got the same message. I wonder if the length of the title could be exceeding some arbitrary limit? With the new CUI, we can't use a partial title apparently, as we could previously. Admittedly, it's not a huge issue, but any thoughts or suggestions for a work around?
7 Replies

Re: Seek timer curiosity

Chadt41411
Casting Director
NYDutch wrote:
I was asked to help an RV'ing neighbor figure out how to set a seek timer on his H2 with the CUI for a big 4 network program where the channel number changes every time he changes his service address to get the locals at a new location. His wife asked that I use "Survivor: Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers" on CBS as the program, since she's a big fan. Setting up a channel specific timer works fine, but when I tried to set a seek timer using "Search" and selecting the title, attempting to set the timer resulted in a "Failed to create... Try later..." error message. Repeated attempts got the same message. I wonder if the length of the title could be exceeding some arbitrary limit? With the new CUI, we can't use a partial title apparently, as we could previously. Admittedly, it's not a huge issue, but any thoughts or suggestions for a work around?

I think the H2 does not have any form of seek, but the H3 does have “record when available “

NYDutch
Audio Engineer
Chadt4141 wrote:

I think the H2 does not have any form of seek, but the H3 does have “record when available “

The H2 does do "seeks" for the channel a given program is on. I have about 15 seek timers set on my RV installed H2 for various network programs, but none with titles as long as the current "Survivor" series. Or as oddly punctuated. We rarely set locals or OTA locals timers that are channel specific unless it's for one night only since the channels change almost every time we move to a different park. Because of that, we almost always set seek timers.

stevenmac1956
Audio Engineer
The Seek function Only seems to work when the program isn't available anywhere.
They are the only ones I have any Luck with.

NYDutch
Audio Engineer
On my Hopper 2, I currently have about 12 seek timers set, all for network programs that are listed in the EPG.

Scooter29
Extra
What is annoying is if it’s available to rent for a fee you cannot have it seek all channels when it’s available for free. That was not the case some time ago. There was a time when I could seek all channels whenever I wanted. I think a firmware upgrade changed this behavior. If I had to guess it’s in an agreement somewhere with online content. Why rent when you can be patient and record it when it’s eventually free. That means I have to keep checking the local guide and that’s a huge waste of time.
Dish you need to fix this enormous inconvenience that you made. It wasn’t like this before.

HullaDancer
Extra
Hear, hear!
What irritates me even more is that if a show is say, a month in the future, I find no way to "Seek" that program. For example, right now (3/31) I saw an ad for Supergirl on April 16. I tried to "search" for it, but I only see Netflix shows found. I cannot figure out how to set the recording that far ahead nor set the Seek for it. It used to be possible and I used it often. I am very frustrated by this new limitation.

DISH Employee

We appreciate any feedback and suggestions that will help us to continue to provide the best experience for you. You can leave this feedback and any suggestions you may have on our Suggestions Board in the Other Category on our new DISH Communities here: http://bit.ly/2Ev8Hw2. They will be forwarded to the appropriate department. Thank you.