Screen Turns Blank

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Turns Blank

dbedford46
Extra
Have Hopper receivers and Joeys. On occasion the screen goes blank and I have to reboot the receiver (unplug for a few seconds) Was hapening ever so often, Now every two or three days.
8 Replies

Re: Screen Turns Blank

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Which Hopper version do you have? Hopper 2 or 3?

What are you doing when this happens? Changing channels or just watching a specific channel or streaming video?
What software version is the Hopper on?

JSracer
Audio Engineer
i have seen the same thing on my H3 a few times.
usually able to fix it without a reboot. channel changing, tuner swap, something works

GerryNOP
Character Actor
I still have the original Hopper. This was a problem when I first got it, then went away for a couple years. Now it's back with a vengeance. It usually, but not always, happens when swapping from one tuner to another. But in the last couple days, the screen just goes black while watching something. Remote can't do anything at this point, and eventually (2-3 minutes, maybe) the Hopper reboots itself. I've seen this often enough to know that I should just reboot it myself to speed things along. Happens about twice a day.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Hopper getting warm or hot?

Has the Hopper been reset after you notice this and can get back to the menu with it?

GerryNOP wrote:
I still have the original Hopper. This was a problem when I first got it, then went away for a couple years. Now it's back with a vengeance. It usually, but not always, happens when swapping from one tuner to another. But in the last couple days, the screen just goes black while watching something. Remote can't do anything at this point, and eventually (2-3 minutes, maybe) the Hopper reboots itself. I've seen this often enough to know that I should just reboot it myself to speed things along. Happens about twice a day.

seanmh72
Camera Crew
e38BimmerFN wrote:

Has the Hopper been reset after you notice this and can get back to the menu with it?

GerryNOP wrote:

I really wish people would stop posting things like this.....as I have said in a post exactly like this, it is not a hardware issue. The screen in black, the guide works, DVR menu works, audio works. Changing a channel will resolve the issue.

It is not heat, nor cabling, nor surge protector, nor a brown leaf on the tree outside......this is a digital issue coming from software.

I feel like people still think that putting tin foil on the rabbit ears will solve these issues.

JSracer
Audio Engineer
Lol, seems software to me too.
Overlays, sawp, its like 1 tuner goes to a blank picture.

GerryNOP
Character Actor
e38BimmerFN wrote:

GerryNOP wrote:

No hotter than it got for a couple years with no "black screen" problems. Not sure what you mean with your second question. Screen goes black. Hopper will accept no commands from remote - no channel change, no tuner swap, nothing. After some time the Hopper reboots itself. Now I usually get up and press the red button, sometimes I unplug. Hopper boots up and everything is fine - for a while. Then it's lather, rinse, repeat.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Id contact DISH support. You may need a new unit..